Binge watched tv shows

Thanks to folks who recommended Bodyguard (Netflix). My husband and I both gave it Thumbs Up, interesting UK crime/politics mystery with some drama too. The lead actress had a very different role from The Durrell’s but did a good job.

4 Likes

We just started watching “Servant of the People,” the famous comedy starring Zalensky about a history teacher who becomes President of the Ukraine. It’s a sweet, often hilarious show, but wow, very surreal and heartbreaking, too, in light of what’s going on now. Mind-blowing, actually. Still, I’m really glad to be watching it. Boy, that Zalensky. On Netflix.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning it! We watched the first episode tonight and really enjoyed it.

1 Like

A new favorite is The Thing about Pam. It is a 20/20, Dateline, 48 hours type thing except that is is series based on the Dateline show. Pam is a real estate agent (Renee Zellweger) and friend of a murdered woman. It is overacted (on purpose) and I think it is hysterical. Pam needs money and gets it.

I’m a sucker for the 20/20 type shows and I know I saw the real one about this event. This is more fun as it is over the top

where do you watch The Thing About Pam? thx

It’s an NBC show on Tues nights. Also on Peacock, I’m sure.

I really enjoyed Somebody Somewhere. Quick binge–7 half-hour episodes, HBO Max.

3 Likes

Is anyone else binging on “Bad Vegan”? Holy cow.

2 Likes

We just started that last night. Crazy what people will fall for.

I loved Reacher AND found it too violent. That’s what the fast forward button is for! (I didn’t watch those scenes)

We loved Reacher here too. The show was definitely less violent than the book it was based on!

1 Like

I always look at my phone for violent scenes!

We loved reacher too. H has a man crush on Reacher

3 Likes

I have a woman crush on Reacher. And Witcher.

5 Likes

We enjoy Outlander series. But Capt Randall scenes got so awful that I didn’t want to watch. We eventually decided to watch, but fast forward through the most violent scenes.

My husband is very squeamish and refused to watch Outlander after a couple of episodes. I didn’t like the guy who played Jamie so I was fine with not watching. We haven’t watched Reacher, but agree that the guy who plays The Witcher is hot! And I love his growly voice too. My husband like Yennefer so we tease each other on that.

We are currently giving The Expanse a second go since our younger son says it’s the best sci-fi show ever. (A position previously held by Babylon 5.) We’d stopped watching when it first came out when someone loses his head - literally.

I can be more tolerant of uncomfortable scenes if I’ve read the book(s) (assuming based off a book). Conversely I can get quite annoyed if the screen version diverges too much from the source. There are occasional exceptions where I can appreciate running with some creative license (the Murtagh character in Outlander, for example).

I enjoy the Outlander series and have been reading the books for years. My brother is a fan of Reacher so I’ve read some of those books… good easy read for something different from my norm. I did not like the movie or recent tv series. I found the acting to be horrid. Just me though because obviously many have enjoyed it.

Keep the suggestions coming. I’m keeping a list for my binge watching! :grin:

ETA: I like Witcher too! Henry Cavill/the Witcher is hot!

1 Like

Yes—we were watching Outlander on demand at that time, and we fast-forwarded through the rape scenes–WAY too brutal to watch.

The death of Black Jack Randall was eagerly awaited—maybe the most disgusting villain I’ve seen in a TV series. We couldn’t even watch Tobias Menzies play Frank Randall in subsequent episodes (or Prince Philip in The Crown, for that matter)

I thought the Expanse series was excellent- definitely up in the top group for sci fi. Loved the books too, and thought they did a great job developing the characters. There were several changes but they seemed natural. I was hopscotching between the show and books so could see the differences.

Halfway through Reacher. I have not read the books. Does anyone else think he is trying to portray features of aspergers/autism spectrum?

I’m reading the books now because there were things that were confusing me. I don’t know if I’ll end up being more confused or not!

I read the first collection of Witcher stories and the first novel about half way through the season and while I enjoyed it the parts that made my eyes glaze over on TV also did so in the books!