Binge watched tv shows

I liked the Time Traveller’s Wife movie. But I had really enjoyed the book, and I do think that helped me better keep up with the back/forth timelines.

1 Like

I read both books and thought Hulu’s version of Normal People was so well done . Both of the lead actors were great. Not excited about watching Conversations with. Friends because Joe Alwyn seems so miscast for his role. Will be interested to hear what you think of the show.

1 Like

I just finished Inventing Anna on Netflix. I really enjoyed it’ it was excellent.

Next, on to Grace and Frankie.

I am going to watch Julia, as soon as I saw you said Sarah Lancashire played the lead role. Love her from Happy Valley and still am waiting for the new series of it.

We love Julia Child. We still watch the French Chef every once in a while.

2 Likes

I loved part 2 of the last season of Ozark. Sad to see it end.

2 Likes

Julia was excellent, and my sister, not a basketball NBA sports fan, at all, kept telling me about Winning Time , the LA lakers dynasty, I ignored for many weeks, but then finally, watched it.
Wow, highly recommend, more about the drama ans personalities then it is about basketball! HBO max, where Julia is Winning Time

2 Likes

For fans of Bosch, The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) dropped last week, and I binged over the weekend. EP’d by David E. Kelley. Personally, I did not find it as strong as Bosch, but it’s fine for Michael Connelly fans. I never saw the movie, so can’t compare.

Given that it’s on a different platform than Bosch: Legacy, I guess we’ll see no crossover. (The protagonists are half-brothers in the books).

3 Likes

Just finished the first episode of Julia. Love it.

4 Likes

@jerseysouthmomchess - winning time is not for the faint at heart; but we’ve really enjoyed watching it! I liked their special effects of making some of the film clips look grainy, like it really was from the late 70s. John Reilly - with his hair and shirts - is just OTT! can’t wait for next season.

1 Like

Just watched the first episode of Grace and Frankie last night. I thought it was kinda formulaic, but everyone has raved about the series, so I’ll keep watching. I do love Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda in just about anything. I also love just looking at Fonda and realizing how great she looks and how old she is.

D2 and I binge watched Single Drunk Female. We didn’t know what to expect, but we ended up liking it a lot.

1 Like

I enjoyed Julia. The lead actress was great - I knew her from Last Tango in Halifax. but I also enjoyed the supporting characters, particularly David Hyde Pierce as Paul. I’d been on the fence about Winning Time but it sounds like something I might like. Couldn’t get into Grace and Frankie - Iiked the women but the men annoyed me.

3 Likes

Happy Valley just wrapped Season 3 (final season) last week!
(I’d picked it at first because State College is in Happy Valley but here, it’s the Calderdale Valley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and it’s anything but happy. There’s even a shoutout to Sergent Cawood in Season 5 of Last Tango in Halifax!)
So, if it ended in early May, with the post-production time… hopefully, a Fall premiere?
Also, whoever recommended Last Tango in Halifax: I really liked it. It’s very bitter-sweet. I liked Caroline striding through the school like Moses parting the Red Sea and Gillian having what, for me, is an unusual job raising sheep. All the actors are very good! Though one death in Season 3 struck me as un-necessarily cruel (on the weekend it took place to boot!) and Celia in Season 5 seemed a bit one-note. Uncle Ted is Dad Jeremy from Gentleman Jack so it was a bit confusing!

2 Likes

Finished 3rd episode of Julia. Love Sarah Lancashire (from Last Tango) and like @one_two noted, David Hyde Pierce is great. Also fun to see him again with Bebe Neuwirth (a mini Frasier reunion!). Other stars I spotted: James Cromwell (her dad) and Isabella Rossellini.

3 Likes

We tried the first episode of Last Tango in Halifax. It was a bit too slow for us. Can’t convince my better half to try another episode. We also prefer crime dramas, whodunnit more than “sentimental”stories :smile:

Give us Line of Duty, Body Guard, Bosch, Vigil, Luther, etc. anyday.

Julia is an exception. We feel as if we knew her. We live in MA. She is our treasure. She was also a hoot.

2 Likes

Adult entertainment for sure, especially the first episode, nudity and lots of foul language, for those who are thinking about “ Winning Time. ( I found HBO The Staircase much more explicit than Winning Time ]
For those of you, like me, and don’t know about the Rise of the LA Lakers, the pitiful team, bought by a flamboyant, outrageous Dr Bus, portrayed by John Reilly, pass the Emmy his way, if you didn’t know the Kareem personality, Haywood Spencer drama, the coaching staff dynamics and shocking turn of events, it’s one heck of a story, and, of course the Magic Johnson persona! Wow what a ride,
Glad you liked @bgbg4us

Whoa, I didn’t know that Happy Valley released any new seasons. That was one of my favorite shows of all time. I don’t see HV on Netflix. Where is it?

The Blacklist gets great reviews. Did any of y’all like it?

Season 6 of Better Call Saul is now available! Watched the first two episodes—loved it. I just read that Bob Odenkirk (Saul/Jimmy) survived a heart attack that occurred on the set in 2021!

1 Like

I think I originally watched Happy Valley on Netflix, but it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. It looks like it’s available through Prime Video with an AMC+ subscription or available to rent on other platforms according to justwatch.com.

DH and I are huge fans of Better Call Saul! We love it too, and were also big fans of Breaking Bad. It’s hard to wait a week for a new episode to come out!

3 Likes