Binge watched tv shows

Just learned this 2 nights ago.

As funny and silly as Derry Girls is, there is the specter of The Troubles always in the background. The season 2 finale (with Bill Clinton’s visit) and the series finale really elevated the show and made this much more than a show about foul-mouthed teens (well, Michelle, especially).

6 Likes

That episode was definitely a turning point - it’s the episode that always comes first to mind for me when thinking of the show.

3 Likes

Finally got my H to watch Derry Girls. He enjoyed the entire series but the ending was special.

4 Likes

Agree about the moments that pulled on our heartstrings at the end of both seasons 2 & 3. The mix of LOL teenage moments with the contrast of the times in a tender way was what made this series a favorite for me.

5 Likes

Just started “The Newsroom” created/written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing). Great so far.

2 Likes

I loved The Newsroom. I have watched it start to finish 3 different times, but not recently. Jeff Daniels is superb as is Sam Waterston. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Ted Lasso season 3 premieres March 15.

10 Likes

It’s season 4 (part 1) that just came out.

NYC- New Amsterdam

2 Likes

This is an old show that may have been mentioned upthread, but we LOVED The Restaurant (Swedish) from 2017: The Restaurant (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb. If you don’t mind subtitles - just gorgeous in every way.

2 Likes

Loved it! Was sad when it ended

so I’m now officially invested in HBOs The Last Of US. I wasnt sure at first; watched it as my spouse wanted someone to watch it with. But it’s growing on me. and this past episode was pretty heartbreaking; but it drew me in. anyone else?

4 Likes

H and I are waiting until all the episodes of The Last of Us have aired then we are going to watch it. D2 has been watching and raving about it.

I started watching Friday Night Lights. I haven’t watched it all the way through in years and I’m loving it all over again!

12 Likes

Oh, gosh, do I love that show. Lots of scenes filmed in and around Austin. The football stadium they used is literally around the corner from where my uncle lives.

1 Like

I LOVED binging on friday night lights this past summer and fall. I was so sad when it ended; they were like family almost. OK: There were some weird things about it . . . like the girl who turns out she was 16 and hooked up with a working guy out of college . . . and that wasnt mentioned and it was glossed over . . . . but besides that, it was the best. Enjoy!!!

and with the Last Of Us - after the second episode i thought it was sort of another "zombie show"and probably would have stopped on my own; but it definitely picks up.

2 Likes

If you never read it, the original book is great.

1 Like

Will try The Last of Us. Worried it’s too gory though
 but seeing lots of people praising it. (TWD or GOT were just impossible for me).
Want to try Poker Face! Sounds like just what I like :slight_smile: and hadn’t heard of it till this thread! Thanks :slight_smile:

Just finished Bad Sisters. It’s dark but very good.
But Irish people swimming at the 40 foot cliff in waters 8-10 degrees celsius/48-50F (I even checked in case there was some warm current there or sth? nope)
 oh my. How do they not get a heart attack from the cold?

1 Like

The first 5 minutes of the Last of Us was definitely too much for me. Normal shooting violence, I’m ok with. I don’t do people torturing each other or other gruesome acts. After that, it’s very good. Don’t want to give away much more.

And when shows are like that, I just look down and play on my phone.

1 Like