Binge watched tv shows

The Diplomat has been picked up for a second season.

9 Likes

Good thing! They canā€™t leave it like that!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I hadnā€™t heard about it! We liked the first episode.

1 Like

Enjoying Rise of the Pink Ladies more and more with each episode. Kind of a HSM meets Glee type of show.

Watched Jury Duty this weekend. The cast did a great job. They are submitted episodes as a comedy (as opposed to Reality TV) to the Emmys.

1 Like

Rough Diamonds was really good!

1 Like

I just finished The Diplomat - loved it!

(Iā€™m such a fan of her work in The Americans, too.)

4 Likes

Really enjoying the last season of Succession. Had to tune into the podcast - Kara Swisher is great!

3 Likes

I hated the people so much in the first episode of this last season that I did not think I could see it through. I stayed the course, however, and am looking forward to watching the conclusion tonight.

1 Like

Just watched the first episode of The Diplomat and the premise seemed ridiculous, but I was relieved when they finally got around to at least having an excuse for a career diplomat being put in that position. At first I thought all the actors were way too young for the parts they were playing but then I looked up the numbers my Dad was just 42 when he became a DCM and 50 when he was named Ambassador. So actually pretty much spot on.

6 Likes

Very much of our TV and movie watching has ridiculous premise. And/or an amazing amount of coincidences (Silent Witness, Iā€™m talking about you and other UK procedurals). But hey, if I wanted reality I could turn of the TV and tackle more housework.

2 Likes

Season 3 of The Great dropped today on Hulu. Donā€™t look for historical accuracy. :rofl:

Ugh that annoys me. I enjoy historical fiction but I like it to be based on, you know, history!

3 Likes

I feel the same way. Itā€™s hard sometimes for me to keep real historic fact straight when Iā€™ve watched a well done (but inaccurate) show/movie. But there are many viewers who never even learned the real history involved.

1 Like

Speaking of historical liberties, I finished Transatlantic today. Overall it was pretty good, but they made up a lot of peopleā€™s stories (especially never let the possibility of a relationship slip away). But it definitely illuminated the terrible predicament of Jewish people and other targets of the Nazis and the heroism of those who opposed it-- as far as I can tell, many of the actual incidents regarding escapes and people involved were real.

It really also illuminates the callousness of the US delay in getting involved.

2 Likes

For those that didnā€™t watch tonightā€™s BAFTA TV awards, the UKā€™s equivalent of the Emmys, Bad Sisters won Best Drama and Anne-Marie Duff (Grace) won Best Supporting Actress.

6 Likes

Both well deserved! I also read that the actress who plays Sister Michael in Derry Girls won for best female performance in a comedy, and Derry Girls won for best scripted comedy.

3 Likes

Correct. I didnā€™t mention because, although discussed on this sub, I havenā€™t seen.

A show that has been mentioned and I did see is This is Going to Hurt; Ben Whishaw won Best Actor.

1 Like

Ben Wishaw was also the voice of Paddington bear for the skit with the Queen prior to her Jubilee concert.

1 Like

I accidentally put this in the wrong thread, so repeating it here: Thought Iā€™d check out Firefly Lane. Watched the first episode, seemed watchable (in my age range which is always interesting) but then I did a quick search here and a Spoiler came up immediately in the thumbnail. It went like this: ā€œSpoiler: (big reveal) ā€. I wish folks would skip those or put a big space in between so that someone had half a chance to look away. Dang it.

Apparently thereā€™s a way to mask them. But even spacing would have done it.

2 Likes

Now that youā€™re probably done with Justified, what else have you liked? Weā€™re on episode six and my wife doesnā€™t like it as well as The Diplomat, Blacklist or Longmire which have stronger female characters.