Binge watched tv shows

When I am at the shore, I go to the beach. When I am up in North Jersey, I go down the shore, then go to the beach. (Still think of it as home, even though have been up North for a good part of my adult life.)

4 Likes

Fun test. Located me exactly even though I havenā€™t lived there since I went to college. The U.S. Dialect Quiz: How Yā€™all, Youse and You Guys Talk - The New York Times

1 Like

Iā€™m embarrassed to admit this is how I sound when I say it!

1 Like

Those quizzes will always get me right because as soon as I say ā€œMischief Nightā€ Iā€™m obviously from New Jersey.

1 Like

Quiz showed me near where I grew up in upstate NY (kingston/pok)

I tried to guess the actual locations and then looked them up. I got the general area right but not specifics. I lived in the vicinity for a while but moved away 30 years ago.

1 Like

When I go back to the town I grew up in - a little further north than your hometown - everyone tells me I talk like someone from NY/NJ. And when Iā€™m in NJ where I currently live, they tell me I talk funny.

The next time youā€™re down I can give you a tour of some of the more infamous locales.

Infamous cuz Jersey Shore? Maaaaby notā€¦but thanks! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m more into Weird New Jersey type places.

Weā€™ve been watching Star Trek Strange New Worlds (which we just call the Pike one). They recently did a show that was a mash-up with Star Trek Lower Decks, which my younger son loves, but I donā€™t like at all and it was hilarious. Then we just saw one where they meet a ā€œtemporal foldā€ and suddenly everyone is singing their hearts out. The writers are clearly having fun this season.

1 Like

Darn, quiz is behind a pay wall. But Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve taken it before.

Some of those shore locations are pretty weird!

1 Like

We finished the Terminal List last night. H & I both loved it. Chris Prat is a Navy Seal whoā€™s op in Syria goes awry. Everyone dies but Chris & one guy, who conveniently kills himself a couple of days later. And something else really bad happens that leads him to try to seek revenge on anyone/everyone whoā€™s involved.

Also interesting that Chris Pratt is the Executive Producer, and his BIL (Patrick Schwarzenegger) has a minor role, as does one of the Guardians of the Galaxy cast members.

Available on Amazon Prime.

Related to a binged show, the Detectorists Movie which I believe came out last winter in UK has been ā€œcoming soonā€ on Acorn for months now. Cannot determine if there is anywhere to watch this from the US. The original series, 3 seasons, is available, but not the new movie.

1 Like

We loved The Dectectorists.

2 Likes

We did, too. Hope to see the movie soon.

2 Likes

What is the Jersey Shore vs. down da shore? LOL.

Thx, Iā€™ve seen various quizzes that have been much more thorough and accurate. This one is far off!

2 Likes

Paywall on the NYT quiz for me as well, but I was able to Google the keywords and get an archived version. I remember taking it (or something very similar) in the past, and it got within a few miles of pinpointing exactly where I am/where I grew up. But this time, it put me on the whole other coast! And the Babbel one put me in the Midwest. Does that mean my local dialect has been worn down by years of radio and tv?