Binge watched tv shows

Decided to try out The Bear. Two episodes in I like it a lot. Yelling and language don’t bother me at all. Intriguing characters. Well written. But, the commercials are going to drive me crazy. I don’t watch that much on Hulu, so I really don’t want to pay premium. And I don’t remember this many commercials the last time I watched something, seems like multiple ones every few minutes. So distracting!

For an extra $7, you can watch ad free. I only get Hulu a couple months a year though. M8ght not be worth it if you have an annual subscription.

I have a deal that’s 1.99/month for a year, so i think it would cost me more.

So you pay for a couple months a year, binge what you want, then stop subscribing? Maybe I should try that. (Full disclosure, i picked up Apple Plus “for just long enough to watch Ted Lasso” but now seem to have kept it. So I worry I’d do that. Though, it’s a much more reasonable price with no commercials.)

Yes…I do that with Hulu and whatever other channel has a series or two I think I would like.

1 Like

I guess I’m less bothered by the ads than a lot of people. Especially since most (all?) of them tell you how long they are. That’s my time to take dishes to the sink/ get in the mail/ get some steps in/unload a few dishes from the dishwasher…

4 Likes

It’s just that they were like every ten minutes or so. It’s hard to get into a short episode that keeps breaking up like that. And three or four ads in a row.

I asked my son to recommend a new show for me and he said Stranger Things. I didn’t think I would like it, but holy cow! It’s such a good story and very suspenseful. I’m really enjoying it!

6 Likes

Stranger Things suprised me. I hate horror, but I got so invested in those characters!

5 Likes

I watched it all, but I remember being super impressed at how they nailed the time period! I graduated HS in 1985, and it really took me back.

4 Likes

I just have to ask if anyone is watching the Golden Bachelor? I would personally have to be tied to a chair. Corny, fake and I’m not just talking about the show. The bachelor’s veneers, tanning bed skin and hair transplant- is nothing real? To see a picture of this guy from years ago and to see him now- it’s not genetics.

Note that there is a thread dedicated to The Golden Bachelor

2 Likes

Well, we just finished up 11 seasons of Curb your Enthusiasm, we liked it.

2 Likes

We just binged A Spy Among Friends - through Amazon Prime, but then you have to sign up for MGM+ (never heard of it) for a free trial - binge it all in a week and cancel then it will be free ! I think it is 7 or 8 one hour episodes. The story all wraps up in that time.

In England in 1963, Nicholas Elliott works for MI6 as an intelligence officer but is left in turmoil when he learns his close friend and colleague, Kim Philby, had been secretly working as a double agent for the KGB, defecting to the Soviet Union. Based on the non-fiction book of the same name by Ben MacIntyre, the limited series centers around Philby’s relationship with his friend and fellow spy Nicholas Elliott and how their lives are impacted by the revelation of Philby’s involvement with the Soviets.

It stars Damian Lewis (another great accent and acting - imo) and Alexander Cary - not as flashy as The Americans by any means (no wigs or costume changes!), but an engaging story.

If “Suits” lands on top again next week — which looks likely — it will beat “Ozark” to become the show with the highest number of first place finishes. Regardless, the series is still nearly doubling the viewership of the competition.

DH and I are contributing to Suits streaming numbers. Its popularity is impressive for a show whose last episode aired 4 years ago. I like Meghan Markle as Rachel Zane. She’s much better than I expected after reading some of the harsh criticism she received for her acting in the Harry/Meghan thread. In my opinion the ensemble cast has great chemistry.

2 Likes

I loved the series finale of Reservation Dogs. I’m going to miss that show.

3 Likes

The other night I saw the finale of 3rd Rock from the Sun. I’d never seen it before and it was really funny. Now I’ll have to watch the entire series to see the set up.

Just binged the three seasons of “Sweet Magnolias” on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. Great characters. If you like “Hallmark type” movies you’ll enjoy it.

1 Like

I loved Third Rock from the Sun. Where is it streaming?

We have Youtube TV and I watch it on IFC. I think that’s a channel found on some cable lineups too.

Here’s one I started and love and haven’t seen mentioned: Estoy Vivo. Spanish with captions. It’s a mash up of Heaven Can Wait, a police procedural and a soap opera. The following is all set up we learn in the first 20 min: A cop with a loving wife and kids ( a rebellious teen and her little sister) is pulled into heaven mistakenly after trying to catch a serial killer and put back into the body of another cop. Time moves differently in Heaven and though he’s there only for an hour or so, 5 years have passed. The teen is now a detective and he is partnered with her. His widow is drawn to him. If he tells anyone who he is back to heaven he goes. His “link” to heaven provides both comic relief and some interesting story lines. There is both the police story line and the personal. It’s melancholy at time, funny at times, scary at times . All around a great show. On Amazon Prime.

1 Like