Binge watched tv shows

Two new sitcoms to recommend:

“Better Things” created by Pamela Adlon and Louis CK is brilliant. Just wrapped up its first season.

Despite its title, “Divorce” on HBO starring Sara Jessica Parker is actually a dark comedy. Her co-star, Thomas Haden Church, is hilarious and steals the show.

Good Girls Revolt is sooo good. I don’t have any self control and will finish it this weekend. Can’t wait for season 2.

Another vote (and a male one) for Good Girls Revolt.

The mediocrity of Season 2 of Red Oaks didn’t keep me from watching it straight through over two nights, but it will probably keep me from caring whether there’s ever a Season 3. Everything that made the first season fresh and entertaining gets repeated (and repeated) so it winds up being the opposite of fresh, if still occasionally entertaining. Halfway through, I completely lost interest in the central couple, played by Craig Roberts and Alexandra Socha, neither of whom seems capable of learning from his or her mistakes, ever. It’s not clear that Roberts is capable of a range of acting that would make him good-looking and appealing. It’s not clear that Socha is capable of a range of acting that would make her something more than good-looking and appealing. Paul Reiser and Richard Kind are great, but there isn’t a stick of scenery they leave unchewed. Gina Gershon and, especially, Jennifer Grey as their wives (in one case ex-) are good with no snarky qualifications. (Grey is the ultimate MILF in this show.)

We tried Good Girls Revolt, for a bit, turned it off, went back to give it a second chance, and reacted favorably. It clinched the deal for me when [spoiler]the boss made the snarky comment, something like “you are known by your name in this business, so have a great career, Nora Ephron” when she resigned.[/spoiler]. I hope this spoiler thing works in all software, it works fine in Windows Firefox.

As a 65-year old, I didn’t remember males as being that obtuse back then, but I guess it makes for a good show. I was raised in a home with strong feminist leanings; maybe that’s why.

Neat trick, @IxnayBob!

@doschicos, I guess it worked for you also. I just discovered the trick, putting [spooiler] [/nospooiler] spelled correctly around the text to be protected. Since an extra “o” seems so popular (e.g., in “loosing my phone”), I went that way :))

No idea that the acronym used in American Pie for sexy mothers (the other, more literal kind of sexy mother) was verboten on CC. Apologies to all.

For anyone who’s a Gilmore Gitl fan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/arts/television/gilmore-girls-netflix-mini-series.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

My D and I have been anxiously waiting for the 25th for our GG fix. When we first heard about it, we agreed that she would have to do whatever it took to be home Thanksgiving weekend! Our dilemma will be how to pace ourselves and not watch all 4 episodes back to back.

I couldn’t find season 2. Where can you watch season 2? The Crown was excellent.

@Iglooo, Season 1 episode 1&2. Sorry for the confusion.

The Crown: every time we watch it I think how hard that marriage must be.

The Affair is back tomorrow. Yay!

I agree about The Crown highlighting the marriage. Can you imagine how a young newlywed male in the early 50s reacted to being treated like that in public? I bet it’s really hard to follow your wife (or husband) around every day doing that boring stuff with no personal purpose.

QE should have paid less attention to QM.

Has anyone watched Cromo on netflix? It got 4 stars but it doesn’t seem to make much sense and slow going. Does it get better?

I am almost ready to abandon Divorce. None of the characters are likeable.

Just finished The Getdown, loved it! If you dont like hip hop its probably not for you, but it definitely gives you a look into how rap started in the Bronx.

^ I heard great things about The Getdown on one of my tennis podcasts (they deviated and did a whole broadcast on their favorite new tv shows.) They mentioned that it was so expensive to produce they had to break season 1 into 2 parts.

I’ll be watching it when I’m done with The Crown.

I’m on Season 6 finally of The Lost. Have really enjoyed the show and may even rewatch it to catch things I missed first time around. Will definitely watch The Fall’s new season first, though. So glad that’s back!