Binghamton 2024

Can any Bing students comment? I am admitted to Harpur (Economics) and was wondering how many hours you spend on work outside of the classroom doing homework, essays, reading, projects etc. I know it varies throughout different majors and times during the semester(ie:finals) but I’m looking for an average for the gen ed classes and economics. I’m a good, diligent student, but it does take me longer to do my work than most. When people post their (or their kid’s) SATs, and stats, they seem to be higher than mine. I am wondering if there is anyone that can comment that has average or low average stats. I want to make sure I choose a school where I can keep up comfortably and have time for extracurriculars. I may want to transfer to the business school, so I will have to keep up at least a 3.5 average. How is the rigor of the business school?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I cannot explain the rigor of the business school, however I can provide insight into social sciences and Harpur. General education classes have a medium workload, depending on the class. To put workload into perspective, for a four credit class, you’re expected to do at least 9.5 hours of course-related work (studying, working on assignments, etc.) This is very flexible of course, but is the general guideline for all four credit classes.

Many students have rigorous coursework and still manage to have weekends free, and time for extracurriculars. You just need to find that balance between studying and doing coursework, and having fun. Time management is key in college!