Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

I am @kristi4806

@kristi4806 yay! Congratulations to your son!
@juc123 I agree with @StrongIsland 100%! State school or not it is going to cost you a lot of money therefore no school should dictate what you major in. You have great stats and do not need to settle. Best of luck to you!

@juc123 the only thing i don’t understand is… why would they accept you to a school you didn’t apply for that has nothing to do with your intended major? From what i read, no one goes into Binghamton with a major and you don’t declare until end of freshman year… so why bother accepting into certain schools in the first place? I don’t understand

I think most go in with an intended major or as undecided.

@kristi4806 Binghamton is the smallest of the SUNY centers and does not have space to admit all the qualified applicants who apply to Harpur, SOM, Watson. There is a range of students who apply each year who are have the stats to be admitted but Bing does not have room (because other applicants are even stronger), so they offer another choice of college at Bing instead of denying admission. The pecking order of the competitive schools (not including Decker for nursing) are SOM then Watson then Harpur then Community & Public Affairs. If a Harpur college applicant doesn’t make the cut for Harpur but has good enough stats to be admitted to Binghamton (just that there is not enough space at Harpur), they will offer a spot at the College of Community & Public Affairs (CCPA) until all the spots are filled. Sometimes, rather than denying admission Bing will offer a spot in the Binghamton Advantage program, which is worse than being offered a spot at CCPA, because Bing Advantage students cannot take classes on campus–they have to attend classes at Broome Community College for a year and if they have a retain gpa they are guaranteed admission for sophomore or junior year at Bing. But Bing advantage students get to live on campus and partake in all activities as admitted students. They just can’t take classes on campus because there is no room. (Bing built brand new dorms a few years ago and has more dorm space than academic space). Binghamton really needs to expand and modernize its academic facilities to equal the magnificence of the new dorms/residential housing which are like beautiful hotels.

@trackmbe3 thank you for explaining that to me. I would hope though that the kids would eventually be able to switch into their intended major? This is the only public school my son is considering so there’s alot i need to learn about the school and it’s size. would love to talk to someone that knows alot about class sizes and lab science class sizes and such. !! So overwhelming!

@kristi4806 By switching into their intended major i assume you mean to switch colleges (from CCPA to Harpur)? If so, you need to contact admissions or someone in Harpur to find out what the requirements are for switching to Harpur. I think an application for internal transfer between the schools is needed. And the application can be submitted during the spring of the freshman year. But you need to check with Bing to make sure of this info.

@trackmbe3 thanks :slight_smile: i was just commented about the post above… my son got into Harpur and wishes to stay there and major in Integrative neuroscience. I have alot to learn about the school :wink:

http://imgur.com/7fmInZg

Help i still didn’t here back
is my app even complete it says verify address ?? help

its imgur link

@imdabest wow what are you going to do? I guess you need to find out what, if any the disadvantages are of not being part of the SOM the first year.

My son got into Watson! E-mail received on Monday night.

@SMom2024 congrats!! Do you mind sharing his stats?

are you instate or out of state?

question… my son got the update to his online status and today the letter home about acceptance but we still haven’t been invited to an accepted students day. I"d like to take him March 20th but i’m thinking you need to register for it? Did anyone get an invite to them yet?

Accepted February 9th from deferral

Mind sharing your stats?

@kristi4806. You don’t need an invite to register for the accepted student days. You can just go onto the Binghamton website and sign up for whichever date you want.

Decision: Accepted to Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

Objective:

SAT I (breakdown): NOPE
ACT: 32 (33 E, 29 M, 32 R, 32 S, 34/10 Essay)
SAT II: 700 Math I (Didn’t send)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): School doesn’t have GPA
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): School doesn’t offer APs
Senior Year Course Load: Advanced Biology, Calculus AB, Advanced Spanish, Surrealism, Senior Studio, Emotionology, the Politics of Color
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): lol

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Cooking Club (Founder and President 9, 10, and 12), Varsity Soccer, Basketball, and Tennis, club swimming, a ton of JV sports
Job/Work Experience: none
Volunteer/Community service: volunteering at animal shelter, intern for congress woman
Summer Activities: Summer at Brown (11), LITA Spanish immersion (9), Swim camp (11)
Essays: 9.5/10, common app essay was nice, not gonna lie
Teacher Recommendation: 10/10 teachers know me well and come from prestigious backgrounds that I’m sure helped my application
Counselor Rec: 9/10 he doesn’t know me too well but nevertheless can craft a well-written essay

Other

State (if domestic applicant): New York
Intended major(s): Studio Art
School Type: Private
Ethnicity: Asian/Pacific Islander
Income Bracket: not a lot

Reflection

Strengths: Essay
Weaknesses: Everything else
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Grades and ACT were good for Binghamton’s standards, but they weren’t anything magnificent and they certainly did not help me stand out. I was deferred at first but I just got an email today saying that I was accepted! That was nice

General Comments: Don’t give up

My stats:

Decision: Acceptance into Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

SAT ~ 1950
ACT ~ 29 (don’t know the complete breakdown. but I got a 33 in the reading comp section)
Unweighted GPA ~ 3.3

Extracurriculars ~ Band and Pit Orchestra, Volunteering

Reccomendations ~ Hopefully okay. My guidance counselor wrote a pretty solid one though.

Essay ~ Probably the only thing I had going for me that was really good.

tl;dr ~ no idea how I got in.