Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

I saw from last year that there is a wave of acceptances this time of the year for the top applicants then more acceptances over the next month for EA. Worst case you have to wait to RD but that’s not bad at all. Alot of the EA acceptances don’t take the offers because Binghamton is their safety school. I know alot of people who did that over the past few years.

Will decisions be rolling from this point on?

People from my high school got in and I still haven’t gotten anything :frowning:

Don’t worry @emilyskates you will be fine. Only a few got acceptances, maybe doing it by college.

Accepted EA into Harpur
ACT: 34
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.82 unweighted
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10% (decile only)
AP (place score in parenthesis): World History (4), English Language & Composition (5), US History (5), Bio (5), Calc BC (5), Physics B (5)
Senior Year Course Load: AP Chem, AP Spanish, AP Lit, AP govt and politics, AP stat, SUPA econ,
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with distinction, american chemical society award, NY scholar athlete (5yrs)
Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity tennis (5yrs)-captain, Rotary club- treasurer, Squash club- founder
Job/Work Experience: Doctor Shadow (10th grade- present)
Volunteer/Community service: Nursing home(11th grade- present), volunteer teaching tennis (9th-present)

Essays: 9/10, honestly i don’t know but I hope they were good
Teacher Recommendation: 8/10,
Counselor Rec: 9/10

Other

State (if domestic applicant): NY
Intended major(s): Biology
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Caucasian (but half south african), Jewish
Income Bracket: >200,000

@emilyskates I wouldn’t worry too much. My daughter is in the same boat. 35 ACT 800 on the Math 2 and Chem SAT 2, NMSF, etc. And she has not heard back either.

I think Binghamton will hold back on acceptances for students with a high probability of a SCEA from an Ivy school. Most of those decisions will be released today and Binghamton is probably waiting on applicants who may be withdrawing their application.

We probably will have to wait a couple of weeks for all the Early Decision / Early Action activity to settle down. Binghamton like most colleges wants to be seen as competitive and wants to reduce the number of students that decline enrollment.

@emilyskates it can also just be the timing with which they received all of your application components or that they are accepting certain underrepresented minority applicants first. There are many possibilities but I can tell you that I haven’t heard of anyone being denied at Bing with stats like yours and even much lower ones. You’re a strong applicant.

My son’s letter noted that Binghamton received over 33,000 applications. There is your answer. I can only imagine how much time it takes to sort through those applications solely for the task of separating the “100% admits” from the “we’ll consider you during RD process.” And I am sure the admissions officers carefully review each application before putting it in one of those categories. There is a reason the EA decision deadline is in January - it is because of the overwhelming task of review and notification.

I think Binghamton is one of the few schools that ask what other colleges a student applies to. It would make sense they are waiting for the early decisions to come out. Does anyone know who long an accepted ED student has to withdraw an application?

Are there any ED applicants to other schools rece

You have until May 1 to withdraw or the college will automatically withdraw you.

when i look to check my application status i don’t see anything really at all besides that it has all my info. i was wondering if someone can send me the link or something just in case. Im from NY and applied on 10/13 and still haven heard back

also where is the link to pay the deposit anyways

@pjohoo98 First you will get an e-mail stating “we have made updates to your application status” with a link to log-in. There will be a new “status Update” at the top of the page after you log-in with another link to your acceptance letter. The next day on the log-in page a “payment due $350” appeared with a link to make the payment.

Good luck to everyone!

is it the applicant status checker like this one https://www.binghamton.edu/admissions/status.html

Yes. That is the one.

so if i want accepted on the 8th does that mean i have to wait till January or are they on a rolling basis from now until january 15. Like one wave and then rolling

If I applied with a “Special Talents Review”, could that be why Bing hasn’t gotten back to me? I believe it takes longer to review an app with the special talents portion or is that unrelated to the timing of an decision?

@futureclass2098 I had same exact question for my son last year. I called admission and they said Special Talent Review does not occur until after Early Action decision. So u will either be accepted in EA without them considering it or you will be deferred to the regular applicant pool, at which time they will review your Special Talent submitted. The Admissions officer said the Special Talent review can only help your application, it won’t diminish your chances at all.

@emilyskates- you have excellent statistics – I am sure they just have not gotten around to the “application pile” yet. They give themselves, for applications submitted by November 1, until Jan 15 to notify everyone. So, please let us know when you hear the good news, but stats are excellent – it’s just a matter of timing :slight_smile: