Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

waitlisted today

@RightHand what area are you from, NYC?? Bc I applied for EOP TOOO during November and I STILL haven’t heard back??? And were u notified via mail OR email???

@Shelly215 Yeah, I’m from NYC. I know how you feel, I applied in October. The time it takes to get a decision back is a bit ridiculous but there’s nothing else you can do but wait.

And I got an email telling me to check my portal.

Oh man, u had to wait a long while too!!! And I know, but the wait has been far too long!! :frowning: congrats doe!! Are u going to commit here?!?
@RightHand

@Shelly215 Haven’t heard back from everyone yet so I can’t say for sure. The only schools I haven’t heard back from are massive reaches though, so if Bing gives a decent aid package then yes, I’ll commit.

Good luck! I’ve seen you around the forums so I’n rooting for you. Hopefully your result is positive after being made to wait so long.

ahh i got waitlisted at stony so i commited to bing = ( I’m rooting for you too and I hope I’ll see you in the fall @Shelly215

@RightHand what is your intended major?

@RightHand awee thanks, I hope so too!! I hope everything works out in your favor and @sosoyumii awee man, I’m so srry , but luckily you got into bing so that’s great , and Thankss!!

Im still waiting to get a reply @Shelly215

Me too , me too @kingwillis_23

just got a rejection back from deferral. surprised bc my sister currently goes to bing but life goes on…

Just got (Via portal) status update, Accepted to Bing Advantage program. Not very excited about that as other options are luckily available

@RightHand did u send your mid Year report to them or no?

@sosoyumii Biology

@Shelly215 Yeah

Decision: Accepted to Harpur (via EOP)

Objective:

• [] SAT I: 1800 (CR 690, M 510, 600 W)
    [
    ] Unweighted GPA (out of 100): 82/100
    [] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 35%
    [
    ] Senior Year Course Load:
    Pre-Calc, Physics, Govt, Economics, AP English, Writing

Subjective:

• [] Extracurriculars: Uniform Committee, Student Council, Microsoft Word 2010 course, Philosophy course taken at a community college (if that counts)
    [
    ] Essays: ?/10 - Don’t like rating myself, but my English liked it so there’s that.
    [] Teacher Recommendations:
    Assistant Principal/Global Hist Teacher - 10/10 Said I was the smartest kid in the school, also gave a semi-explanation for the relatively low GPA
    [
    ] Counselor Rec: ?/10 - (Didn’t see it)

Other

• [] State (if domestic applicant): NY
    [
    ] School Type: Public
    [] Ethnicity: African American
    [
    ] Gender: Male
    [] Income Bracket: <$15,000
    [
    ] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first gen, low income

Reflection

[ul]
[] Strengths: SAT Scores (kinda?), recommendations, and possibly essay?
[
] Weaknesses: This will of course, be my GPA, the only saving factor was that I did show a massive upswing during junior year.
[] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I feel like the recommendation from my global history teacher is what saved me here. I got to read it and I think it really put certain aspects of my application into perspective (the low GPA, the nearly 200 point difference between my Critical Reading and Math score, etc.
[
] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Rejected from Stony Brook. I applied EOP and they never told me if I was academically qualified or not and just decided to reject me in late February.[/ul]

@fschil damn, that sucks. just to get an idea of what type of students are admitted to bing advantage, would you mind sharing your stats?

@collegecryin i’m sorry… what were your stats? was it unexpected?

Did any in-state student get any merit scholarship money? I know it’s rare, but I haven’t seen any.

@falconic high ACT (33) very low GPA. Bombed first two years of high school

I am feeling the same way as others about my daughter being waitlisted! I don’t really understand how these decisions are made. My daughter was ranked #2 in her class with a 99.78 weighted average. Her SAT’s weren’t the best, 1920. She has already accrued over 40 college credits taking dual enrollment classes for the last 3 years. her course load throughout high school has been the most rigorous I’ve ever heard of. Not to mention playing 2 Varsity sports, volunteering, Pres of Student Government, working a PT job, the list goes on. We all just assumed she would be accepted wherever she applied. And of course, Bing was her #1. We are devastated at this “Spring acceptance”.

@0216Mother, I imagine that some of these deferrals/rejections are because the admissions office believes they are using Bing as a safety and won’t attend. If your daughter notifies the office that Bing is her first choice, I believe it’s likely that she’ll get an offer of fall admission ASAP. As I posted upthread, my daughter (grades not as good as your daughter, test scores higher) was offered spring admission. We did nothing, and by the second week in April she was offered admission for fall.