Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

A very large portion of Binghamton students are from LI and NYC. Makes sense that a lot are waiting from those areas.

“Binghamton continues to have a diverse class, with the geographic distribution reflecting New York state’s population. About 39 percent of new students are from upstate New York; 6 percent are from Broome and Tioga counties; 26 percent are from Long Island; and 22 percent are from New York City.”

Perhaps the notification is the difference between applying EA versus ED, with the ED’s being notified presently while the EA’s notification will come later?

Binghamton doesn’t have early decision. Only early action.

Decisions aren’t being made by A through Z. Or by “territory” being as students from LI and NJ have heard. We were there yesterday and in-state and out-of-state students had heard.

This isn’t a difficult calculus. 33,000 applicants. EA deadline of 11/15. That was just four weeks ago. I know as much (or better stated, as little) as everyone else here, but isn’t the most obvious explanation that it takes time to review so many applications? I don’t think they hire seasonal employees like Walmart to help make decisions. They work with the staff they have.

I wish everyone the best and hope that this forum will be flooded with reported decisions within the next two weeks.

I think @itsajoke is right. They run through the apps and throw the ones with the high stats on to an EA “definitely admit” pile and keep going. They prioritize them. My cousin works in an Admissions office and she said that is what they do. They’ll get around to admitting the others but want to try and grab the stronger applicants ASAP.

That makes a lot of sense.

A girl from my school got in on Saturday, and we’re in NYC.

Any chance you know her stats?

At DD’s school, twin applied Bing at the same time. One got result and another one did not. This practice is really bad, imo.

My daughter was very high stats and got in early during the first round last year. This year guidance told the seniors that Binghamton was “doing things differently” this year. There have been a few acceptances at our HS but my friend’s son, also with very high stats, was not admitted yet. Not sure what “doing things differently” means. Does Bing think that these very high stats kids are using them as a safety and will therefore not admit them right away? My guess is that if a kid with very high stats truly wants Bing, a phone call from guidance stating that the student will come if accepted should do the trick.

It could be that they haven’t gotten to his application yet. There are a lot to get through.

I’m not sure they would practice yield protection with in state kids. This is their state U.

I doubt that Bing does yield protection.

I guess I should have know Binghamton does offer UD! Sorry!

I think it is by some sort of location/high school order. I am from a Long Island high school and NO ONE has heard from Bing. But from Albany and Buffalo people have heard. I have high stats (30+ ACT).

I know we were all looking at last year to see when Binghamton sent some early notifications but I checked two years ago and it seemed to be a week later. I guess some will hear before Xmas and the rest in January

@jdschooled5 I’m also from Long Island and attend public school. About 10 of my peers, including me, have heard back. Everyone I know that’s heard back has had top notch stats, though. I don’t think location plays a role

I’m EA. Have you heard yet?

@jgalls I think it is by high school. Maybe not exactly geographic location but by specific high school because NO ONE has heard from Bing and we have a lot of applicants here, and a lot of smart ones.

@jdschooled5 Nah only one girl from my school has gotten in and that was on Saturday we also have a large applicant pool

It seems from these postings that most students received their decision on 12/8, and not much activity regarding acceptance since then. Tomorrow is the 15th and maybe there will be more decisons sent. Am thinking they may send them weekly - we’ll see!