Binghamton University Class of 2021 Decisions

Do you need to send senior year grades if you are deffered?

@decemberbaby12 @easymoney123 what timezone are y’all in?

Is there a particular time that Bing usually releases decisions? Have they given a time for the January 15th date?

East coast, i live in Long Island, NY. They release anywhere from 6-8 it seems but the day of the weeks the decisions are released seems random. Some weeks they release decisions tuesday, Wednesday, and thursday. Friday (today) was the first time I’ve heard anyone got a response.

I got deferred from Harpur also

No senior year grades are needed. My sister got deferred today and said no addition items were needed. :slight_smile:

I just got accepted to SOM. My friend said that he saw online that the acceptance rate SOM was 24%. This seems way to low; I know it’s harder than the other schools but can it really be that much harder? Does anyone know if that 24% is true?

Accepted to SOM. Got the email around four hours back. 34 ACT, International Student (Average GPA, Good Class Rank).
For those who didn’t get in: Don’t lose hope. I had a friend who was deferred, waitlisted and then accepted at Duke. I’m pretty sure you guys will be just fine. Best of luck!

Was just accepted SOM! OOS from CT I received an email that stated status change at 6:15 pm! No idea about that acceptance rate. That seems low.

Any idea how selective specific colleges within Bing are? I’ve heard SOM and Engineering are pretty selective, but any numbers on that?

From Wikipedia.

The procedure for candidates applying for admission is essentially the same as for other students applying for admission to the university. It is the most selective professional school at Binghamton University. For the class of 2013, a total of 5,194 students applied, of which 24% were accepted with an average SAT score of 1346/1600.

My son is a freshman at the SOM. Remember seeing admission stats showing roughly 25% acceptance rate. Overall Bing acceptance is 40-42, so SOM rate of 24 isn’t surprising when only 250 slots open each year.

@itsajoke Thanks! If the Class of 2013 was a 24% acceptance rate, I’d imagine it might fall below 20% soon. (If it hasn’t already)

@easymoney123

You got deferred with a 31 ACT? Binghamton thinks they are Cornell, LOL That is silly. I know they like a gpa like 92-93 and up, and yours is 90 but I bet you took hard courses like honors and some AP classes. None the less, a ACT score of 31 is in the 75th percentile so you should be a lock. Silly!!! No offense, I see students with 27 and 28 ACT scores not get deferred. I sometimes wonder what Bing is thinking. OOS I get, they want the money so the standards may be a smidge less than in state requirements but still??

@1zogden1

No, your friend is correct. They accept about 1100 students a year in the program. Their yield is approx 18% as 200 students enroll each yr in the program. The acceptance rate is about 28-30% according to people I spoke with in the SOM.

My son is a jr in high school but he will be applying to the SOM as well. We live in state, so hopefully he will get in. i was just wondering what your stats were. GPA AND SAT OR ACT. Just curious. Also, do you live in state? Congrats!

30 ACT, 3.8 GPA. Got deferred.

@CollegeboyLloyd

Congrats!! What were your stats if you do not mind sharing?

Decision: deferred
Submission Date: 10/14/16
Decision Date: 11/10/16

SAT: 1300 (700e, 600m)
Unweighted GPA (out of 100): 93/100
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Does not rank

Extracurriculars: (place leadership in parentheses): Avid Runner (half marathons, 10ks, 5ks, etc), Gay straight alliance, anti-sexual harassment club, bike club
Summer Activities: running programs
Teacher Recommendations: One was from a college professor at nyu probably 10/10(grade A) (the class was free through my high school during the school year with real college students, it was not a summer program), the other was from my history teacher, probably 8/10
Counselor Rec: 10/10 i have a great relationship with my college counselor
Common app essay: 9/10

Other
Projected Concentration: chem, pre med
State (if domestic applicant): NY
Country (if international applicant): USA
School Type: public
Ethnicity: white
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): a top student in a very difficult nyu class

Reflection
Strengths: nyu college class, professor rec
Weaknesses: test scores, my school doesn’t offer AP

unbelievable, deferred with a 30 ACT? Binghamton should be ashamed of themselves.

Still have not hear anything back from Binghamton. Very disappointed !

I applied to waston school, now I feel I should apply to Harpur with a higher acceptance rate

I am from CT, my brother just graduated from there undergrad Watson Engineering and then Masters BM Engineering
My Stats:
3.6 unweighted/4.0
1410 New SAT 690 R and 720M
Lots of AP and Honors
4 years Football and Lacrosse
DECA Club
Other volunteer activities