Binghamton University Class of 2021 Decisions

I applied RD on 11/11 for Harpur and didn’t get anything yet. 3.7 GPA and 29 ACT.

I was invited into a Freshman Research Immersion program. Does anyone know exactly what it is or how selective it is?

@laurclassof2021 Congrats! I was as well! :slight_smile: FRI provides research experience for STEM students alongside faculty and other first-year students for your first three semesters of college. When you enroll, you pick your top three research streams from the choices listed in the letter, and you will then be placed into one stream based on your top three choices. I’m not sure how selective the program is other than 30 people are enrolled in each stream and there are 8 streams in total. I think the invitation is based on your academic merit and interest in research. Here is a link for more information:
http://www.binghamton.edu/freshman-research-immersion/index.html

Have there been no denials yet, guess they send all the denials out at once at the end of notification period

I have a feeling we will get a large wave of decisions by the end of this week or the next, possibly even tonight.

Isn’t the deadline March 15 or something

April 1st

Did you guys portal changed picture? I don’t know what it means.

@NASA2014 what did it show.

Accepted to Watson School of Engineering (Applied for Computer Science) on March 1st, received the email around 4pm PST - Was originally a deferred applicant.

OOS (CA)
ACT - 31
GPA - 3.5 Weighted

If you get denied to the school of business does binghamton automatically offer you option to apply to harpur or is it only if you have good odds?

Still waiting…

I have been not only checking this thread since the day I applied 11/11 but have been here every day since July…anxiously waiting for Binghamton to respond (:

what were your stats?

D was deferred on 1/6 to School of Management. Yesterday received an email that she is being accepted if she wants Harpur and can switch to SOM at a later date. I’ve heard from multiple people that the ability to switch is never really available. That takes Bing off the table for her which is a shame as it was her first choice. They also want a decision by Friday as to whether or not she will switch schools.

My stats are 3.73 GPA and 29 ACT for Harpur.

@mjhjk2017

I was curious as to your daughters stats. You are correct. It is very hard to get into the SOM as a transfer from Harpur. It is not impossible but you need a min of a 3.5 gpa.Sometimes that is not even good enough.

@mjhjk2017 Sorry to hear that. When S started this journey, Bing was far and away his top choice. Since his deferral, it has dropped completely off his radar. If and when he hears from Bing, it will have to be in his major or he goes somewhere else. He has already moved on from a few schools that offered him a seat, but not his major.

Good luck to your D!

@euve69 D stats are 4.0 with a 28 act & lots of extra curric/college level courses. We are instate so was hoping for the SUNY price but looks like it will be U Delaware which she really loves as well. This has certainly been an interesting (nerve wracking) process!

I think much of what was said earlier today on this thread is accurate. Transferring from Harpur into SOM isn’t easy. And if someone has their heart set on business, they should attend a school where they can study it. Lerner at Delaware is truly outstanding - and Delaware is well-funded. I lived in DE for 7 years - it is a great place to live. Wonderful campus and great B-school. As I have said before, reverse affirmative action going on at Binghamton with out-of-state students being given preferential treatment due to $$$$$. Binghamton gets $40k from OOS students and about $23k from NYers. Simple math. My son was a beneficiary of that. I have been speculating that Binghamton has been deluged with applications this year. Last year was 33,000. The increase in applicants would account for the delays in notice and the higher selectivity.