biochem class sizes?

<p>how big are classes as a biochem major?</p>

<p>Depends on the courses you select for your introductory courses, ie the large lecture courses. You can tell class sizes from timetable information. For example, a Chemistry 103 lecture may be large- but lab and discussion sections small, which is what matters. Advanced level courses are likely to be small for all majors. In math they often number under 20. It doesn’t matter if a lecture is given to a few or many students as it is a passive format. The availability of small discussion sizes and adequate lab space counts. The research opportunities also matter. Honors courses will also be smaller.</p>

<p>Looking at the credits report–upper level classes in biochem appear to have around 10-73 students with most in the 11-40 students range. The larger class was Biochemical Methods and all the rest were under 40.</p>

<p>thanks! to wis75, are you a student at wisconsin madison? if so, are you able to take say, biochem and engineering? is it easy to take classes across colleges? can you double major in biochem and mechanical engineering?</p>

<p>Taking classes across colleges is very easy. Many courses are unrestricted. Those that are typically hold the classes for certain students (for example keeping engineering classes open to engineering students only) for the first couple weeks of registration. </p>

<p>This means that most classes except the most desired ones are still available to anyone. (As a freshmen/soph these classes would have filled up by the time you register anyways)</p>

<p>Double-majoring across colleges is much harder. Usually you can double major IF one of the majors is in the college of letters and science (largest college). But you can’t major in both the engineering and CALS–which are the colleges that offer ME and biochem respectively. </p>

<p>That said, I think there is also an option to be a biochem major through L&S. You should check out the college of letters and science’s homepage for more info.</p>

<p>I’m not wis75, but I am a current student :)</p>

<p>Actually, I checked and it is available at L&S. So you would simply need to ask dean approval to double-major in ME and biochem. </p>

<p>Sounds like a tough track, and there’s a good chance you’ll change your mind. But here’s more info if you’d like:</p>

<p>[Degree</a> Requirements | Biochemistry | UW-Madison](<a href=“Undergraduate Biochemistry Major – Department of Biochemistry – UW–Madison”>Undergraduate Biochemistry Major – Department of Biochemistry – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>Parent and alumnus. I read the UW site plus first hand knowledge. </p>

<p>I had seen where Biochemistry is listed as above- understandable given its nature. Different schools/colleges have different graduation requirements, your choice will depend on which works for you. You probably would need more than 4 years to complete all of the reqs for this double major. Once you are on campus and complete a semester or two you will be more able to plan your future. Many, if not most, either enter undecided or change their proposed major. Don’t worry about it now, so much becomes clearer once you are there and gain college experience.</p>

<p>The class size can be more than the number of students that typically choose a course. The most recent Timetable version has a way of finding out how many actuallly are signed up for a class section (found this by playing with it- all sorts of info hidden can be uncovered with mouse clicks). Some upper level courses may hold up to 25 students but only have 15 for example.</p>

<p>thanks to everyone for your feedback! Im looking into colleges and uwm looks to be great! i just am curious because i know that i would like to do both engineering and science. can one major in an engineering and minor in a science while graduating in 4 years? also, to the past and current students. is the sheer size of the school daunting? or is it spread out over a huge campus? what is it like being in a school of +40,000? do you get any face time with your professors?</p>

<p>Please realize UW-Madison is known as UW, UWM is UW-Milwaukee. UW doesn’t have minors, there are more comprehensive majors, with the possibility of double majors. There are also some certificate programs. Many people thrive in the large school just as many thrive in a large city- each is composed of various “neighborhoods”, you are not dealing with the whole entity at once, but rather with your own part of it. Those who choose to make use of their professor’s office hours can get to know them. There is no “hand holding”, you do need to take the initiative to take advatage of what the school can offer. I suspect you would end up taking several courses in the science that most impacts the type of engineering you choose. There is so much to do with any major you need to “specialize” in it, that is the concept of a major. Different than the bit of everything you studied in HS without most of your last two years concentrating on just one field. You could attend UW 10 years and not run out of courses to take- part of the beauty of a large university. Practically speaking you do need to finish your degree and work for a living instead of being a student forever.</p>