BioHouse

<p>So I haven't 100% decided on Wisconsin, but I'm pretty sure that's where I want to go. I have a few questions - first of all, I saw a mid-March deadline for housing contracts. That's before I'm hoping to hear back from some schools about scholarships. If I get a good offer from another school after I put down the deposit and don't enroll in UW, will I lose that deposit?</p>

<p>Assuming I go to UW, I've been looking at Lakeshore dorms (I like the quiet atmosphere), and I've been looking at Cole as my #1 because it has the BioHouse learning community. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Or just lived in Cole, and have some input about the dorm? I believe it doesn't have air conditioning, is that survivable in September?</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>actually the housing contract deadline is around may 5th! so you’ll have plenty of time to hear back from other schools :)</p>

<p>If you pick a learning community as your first choice, you really need to turn it in sooner, because then you get to select the exact room number online.</p>

<p>You can call housing and ask, but I don’t think you lose your housing deposit if you change your mind and don’t attend UW-Madison.</p>

<p>I lived in Cole eons ago then saw it in the early 2000’s when son had a running camp at UW. I still remember my first room # (saw it in an old textbook I had saved not too many years ago). 305 faced the lake with a bit of a lake view. It was one of the newer dorms back in the early 1970’s- I preferred that to the old architecture then available. The bathrooms are vastly improved- private shower stalls et al and the built in beds are gone. You can see room views in the lofting guide. Also check on the dining facilities as they are doing some major changes to Holt- where the hall desk is. I liked being able to be close to the lake and walking out to the end of Picnic Point or along the lake to the Memorial Union. I then lived in Slichter and have been in Kronshage and Liz since renovations (later 2000’s). Each dorm has its own character, pros and cons. I liked being in a 4 story building- could easily take the stairs and not have to wait for the elevator. All are well maintained.</p>

<p>If you have paid UW and Res Halls deposits and decide NOT to attend you can get them back by sending a written request by the deadline (May 1?- check on this) to each place. You need to notify BOTH UW and Res Halls separately, they will not tell each other. The two are separate entities.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all of your input!</p>