biology major in purdue?

<p>I have always thought of becoming a business major and I researched about business all my high school life. but recently i decided to become a dentist and receive b.s. in biology. </p>

<p>I was wondering how good is purdue for biology majors? Is it hard to get in?
I have always known purdue for good engineering, pharmacy, and business is so-so. So any feedbacks please? </p>

<p>Generally, how hard is purdue to get in for like science majors? I see on collegeboard and their GPA and SAT scores are really really low.</p>

<p>btw for undergrad. </p>

<p>i’ll be graduating from h.s. in 2010</p>

<p>Well… Honestly their scores are low along with the GPA, but recently Purdue has been increasing their standards. I’m not sure how good or how easy it is to get into the School of Sciences but I’m sure it’s somewhat hard. It’s pretty much a decently respected college at Purdue since quite a good number of the majors below them are quite respected. But I’m sure if you have pretty good grades and all you will get accepted, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it to go to Purdue for Biology even though I know some people who do… If you don’t get into Bio, you can just apply for the Pre-Dentistry program which is under the School of Sciences and the Liberal Arts program. My friend was in the Pre-Dentistry program so yeah… but she dropped it for Art Education.</p>

<p>hm didn’t know they had pre-dentistry. that brings up a second question. to get into dental school, does it matter if i major in bio or pre-dentistry?? which do they usually prefer?</p>

<p>No clue on that. I’m sure if you put a thread up on another section like College Admissions or something someone will have a good answer. You can also google the answer too and I’m sure results will come up on that topic.</p>

<p>I’ve been in pretty close contact with purdue for quite some years. I’m also in your graduating class. I agree with Jimgotkp that Purdue is trying to increase its standards–you can find more about it on their website. But i doubt that will shift the school profile very much.</p>

<p>I actually work for one of Purdue’s structural biology professors (the big one), and I can tell you that this subdivision of biology is very strong in research. Purdue Bio is somewhat more focused on research than teaching, and so some undergrads complain of having an overabundance of TA’s. Since I’m in the building a lot since Purdue has started classes, I’ve got a superficial sense of the students. From them, I get the sense that biology seems to be one of the “easy” majors. If you want more information, i could ask some of the people here about the quality of undergraduate education. </p>

<p>So to answer your question, Purdue’s program is good, but not among the best. </p>

<p>Unfortunately I can’t help you much about dentistry. Though from my experience, people tend to go to Indiana University (the other big school in Indiana) for dentistry school. </p>

<p>If you have any more questions about Purdue, feel free to message me. I will be applying there, though I really dislike their essay choices.</p>