Biology Major Information

<p>I am an incoming freshmen majoring in Biology and I just have a few questions so if you are able to help, thanks in advance!</p>

<ol>
<li>What's the best course load to take my first semester in the fall?</li>
<li>Any professors I should try to get or avoid?</li>
<li>I am trying to do pre-med so any information on advising or how to approach a pre-med track?</li>
<li>If I am able to place out of Calculus, should I do it?</li>
</ol>

<p>Any other information or tips would be great! Thanks!</p>

<p>The first tip is to change your moniker!</p>

<p>Can you run with VTHokies44?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>You should take Biology, Biology lab, Chemistry, Chemistry lab, and Biology seminar (this is required). </p></li>
<li><p>George Simmons, in my opinion, is the best Biology professor, and I’ve had him for two semesters. His tests are pretty difficult, but are very fair and straight forward. You definitely will need to put in significant time for his class. My friends have told me that all of the other professors are really bad, but that’s just what they told me. I worked my butt off for two semesters and I ended up with B’s in both semester for Simmon’s class.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>For Chemistry, I’ve heard they’re all pretty good. Personally, I had Patricia Amateis for two semesters. She is a lovely woman and an awesome teacher, and I absolutely loved being in her class. Once again, you do need put in time to study. I got a B+ first semester and an A second semester.</p>

<p>Chemistry and biology labs are pretty chill and lax, so you don’t need to worry too much about that. Some kids get really lazy and carelss, and their Chemistry lab grades drops – so be careful. They’re all taught by TA’s who are pretty knowledgeable about the course. These courses won’t take up too much of your time, so feel free to take a cooking class or a history class that interests you.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>8 Credits of Biology/Physics/Chemistry/Organic Chemistry (and their respective labs) – is the required courses for most medical schools. Freshmen usually take biology and chemistry together. Then, they’ll take organic chemistry in their second year. And finally, they’ll take physics as juniors.</p></li>
<li><p>Yes, you should if you plan on pursuing a Biology degree (and are 100% sure), since that will probably be the last math class you’ll ever take in your life. There are different calculus credits. 1205-1206 are for the math related majors, while 1015/1016 (I can’t remember) are for non-math related majors. Plus, going to the Math Emporium is such a hassle.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>First: If you plan on being Pre-Med at VT, your username should be VT. haha</p>

<p>Second: I am a sophomore Biology major at VT who is also Pre-Med.</p>

<p>Third: Here is a very brief schedule of courses over the next 3 years. I say 3 because you will apply to medical school your junior. It is very typical to apply 15 months before matriculation into medical school.</p>

<p>First Semester - Freshman</p>

<p>Biol 1105 - General Biology for Life Science Majors (GET SIMMONS)
Biol 1125 - Gen. Bio. Lab for Biology majors only
Chem 1035 - General Chemistry (GET AMATEIS OR TRIVEDI)
Chem 1045 - General Chemistry Lab
Biol 1004 - Bio. Freshman Seminar
Note about Biol 1004: I personally didn’t take it since I was an internal transfer to Biology. I had a friend who took it. It is pretty much a course with 90% Pre-Meds. By the end of the first day, 30-40% of those Pre-Med students go and change their major. Simple as that.
Here you can either add a CLE (Gen. Ed course) or a Math. If you can test out of Calc, do it by all means.</p>

<p>Second Semester - Freshman</p>

<p>Biol 1106 - General Biology for Life Science Majors II (GET SIMMONS)
Biol 1126 - Gen. Biol. Lab for Biology Majors only II
Chem 1036 - General Chemistry II (I haven’t taken it yet. Don’t know who is the best.)
Chem 1046 - Gen. Chem. Lab II
CLE or Math</p>

<p>First Semester - Sophomore</p>

<p>Biol 2004 or 2104 - Genetics and/or Cell/Molecular Biology
Chem 2535 - O-Chem (AKA Pre-Med Satan)
Chem 2545 - O-Chem Lab
CLE or Math
Note: I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT I mean absolutely DO NOT schedule physics with O-Chem. I know some very bright Pre-Meds who scheduled “Foundation of Physics (Engineering Physics)” and “Organic Chemistry” in the same semester. None of them got really good grades. Really lowered their GPAs. I’ll explain my rationale:

1. O-Chem is Pre-Med Satan. It is known as the Universal Pre-Med Weedout course. On a VT rating website, I was reading that if you want an A, take Berg; if you want to be prepared for the MCAT, take Bump. I am taking Bump.
  2. Physics is a difficult course. I took it in high school. It really takes some serious studying and test preparation to do well. You don’t want to add Physics and O-Chem at the same time because then you have two difficult courses and chances are your tests in those courses will fall within the week. You don’t want to have to cram for both and do other courses.
  3. Physics has a lot of variable formulas. There is also a pretty good sized section on the MCAT. If you take Physics your junior year, you will be taking it right before the MCAT. Which means it will still be fresh on your mind and you won’t have to relearn as many formulas for it. </p>

<p>Now for my advice section.</p>

<p>ADVICE:</p>

<ol>
<li>Start shadowing early. I started shadowing this week and I love it. I’m currently observing an Anesthesiologist and several Surgeons. In the past 2 days I’ve seen:</li>
</ol>

<p>4 Adenoidectomies
2 Tonsillectomies
An exploratory lap
An epidural
An oopherectomy
A nephectomy</p>

<p>I have no clue what is in store next, but I can’t wait.
The reason I say to start early is that you don’t want to put in all of this time and hard work towards being a doctor only to realize that you don’t like it. Can you imagine cramming for Organic Chemistry tests, studying for weeks in preparation for the MCAT, going through all of that trouble to apply to medical school and get everything lined up and once you get there you hate it? That would really really suck. So start early.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Most definitely use the Pre-Health advising office. They help you keep track of everything you have accomplished over the 4 years you will be at VT. It makes it easier to get your medical school application ready. If you get to know the people in the office really well, they might just write you a letter of recommendation.</p></li>
<li><p>Join the AMSA. I get a Pre-Medical Digest e-mail every day with information about leadership positions and medical school discussions. It costs around $75 to join, but it spans a 5 year time.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I can’t really think of anything else right now, so if you have any questions for me, feel free to send me a private message.</p>

<p>Cut the OP some slack on his username. They can’t be changed. The option is to start a new account. Often people choose not to do this as they start with zero post count and no history with fellow members. </p>

<p>My most recent grad has been a diehard hokie fan for all his life. One hundred percent born and raised. Jerseys, T’shirts, flags in his room. I could have easily chosen the username ‘hokiemom’ or something similar. I would look kind of odd at this point as he eventually chose to attend UVa. People grow and change. They make decisions for all kinds of reasons. Give it a rest. I’m sure UVACavs44 will be bleeding maroon and orange in no time!</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the information! I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Okay so about my username. UVA has been my dream since like 5th grade and came onto this site with UVA being my dream school. Unfortunately, I got waitlisted. I would change my username if I could but like blueiguana said I’d have to start with no posts. If you look at my previous posts, they’re almost all UVA or Ohio State. I’m not posting on here with a UVA username in spite of Tech.</p>

<p>blueiguana, maybe your guy can have a yard sale with all of his Hokie stuff and invite UVACavs44! :slight_smile: Or if UVACavs still has any 'Hoo gear they can just swap! </p>

<p>(Congratulations on his acceptance/decision by the way…I didn’t follow along enough to see where he ended up…Hope he has a great 4 years in Cville!)</p>

<p>And best of luck to you, too, UVACavs44…your username is just fine! :)</p>

<p>I’m a rising junior bio/psych major.</p>

<p>If you’re in honors, TAKE DR. BUIKEMA. He is the best. If you’re not in honors, make that a goal for your first semester!</p>

<p>Take Trivedi first semester for chemistry, then maybe take Amateis second semester (I wish I had; Trivedi wasn’t as great second semester).</p>

<p>Take math at Tech, even if you have credit for it. It won’t be too hard for you anyway (I got near 100’s both semesters).</p>

<p>AMSA is great if you want to be connected to other pre-meds, but don’t let it be the only thing you do. Join organizations where you can see yourself rising to a leadership position, and don’t be afraid to get involved early! If nothing else, you’ll meet upperclassmen who can give you advice on professors, lend you their textbooks, etc.</p>

<p>They’re doing a bit of an overhaul in the pre-health professions advising office (your documents will all be posted online now), so just try to touch base with the office as soon as possible; they’ll probably list times for information sessions on their website (just look the office up on vt.edu).</p>

<p>TAKE YOUR COURSES SERIOUSLY. Trust me, grades that set you apart will be well worth the effort.</p>

<p>Elvenmiss, my son is an entering freshman in the honors program. After listening to some friends from other schools, he is getting a little worried about how hard the program is. Can you explain if you have found it very difficult? One worry is making B’s in honors instead of A’s in non-honors because of the GPA you need to get into med school. Thanks.</p>

<p>Just some questions regarding pre-med as I am a going to be a junior this fall… Where are some places where I can get help in finding shadowing opportunities?? Can I do that during the Fall and Spring semesters or do I have to wait till Summer?? Also I haven’t taken Organic Chem, is it compulsory for Med School…? BTW I am a transfer student so thats why I am asking these questions… :slight_smile: Go Hokies…</p>

<p>Most students take Biology (and it’s lab) and Chemistry (and it’s lab). I’m only speaking from experience (obviously lol), but Patrica Amateis is probably one of my favorite teachers and is a great chemistry teacher (absolutely loved her). She’s nice and her exams are very straight forward. George Simmons for Biology… his exams were very, very hard, but overall he’s a nice guy and tries very hard to teach his best (if that makes sense). He’s not a bad teacher (actually, he’s a great teacher, he just has high expectations). Biology will probably be your hardest class (when you think you’ve studied enough for his exams, add AT LEAST 20 more hrs to your studying and you should be okay).</p>

<p>Unless, you are 100% SURE you want to do Biology… you should take Math 1205/1206 (calculus 1 and 2), that way you have some flexibility if you want to change your major to something like Math, Stats, Economics, CS, or some sort of Engineering.</p>

<p>EDIT: haha oh wow, I just realized I replied to this post twice… well good thing my views haven’t change at all. Wait, is that bad or good?</p>

<p>Don’t equate Honors with being harder… classes are smaller, so you get more attention. College is gonna be hard as it is, so it’s not point in shying away from a class because it’s “too hard”.</p>