Biomedical Engineering~Miami, U Louisville, or U South Carolina??

<p>My son has been accepted into all 3 of these programs. We visited UM last week and he loved it and all of the potential opportunities it affords him, plus he is excited that they have the prospective 5th year Master's program there.</p>

<p>Yesterday he visited U Louisville and also really liked it. He would be in the Honors College there (guaranteed classes) plus they do 3 paid internships, but that would mean no seeing him during the summers.</p>

<p>Tomorrow he visits USC where he is a Capstone Scholar.</p>

<p>I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into the pros & cons of these three schools. With his scholarships, the price is almost the same at all 3, so not a significant factor in our decision. Thanks!</p>

<p>I would imagine paid internships would be available through any of the three schools if your son wants to pursue them. Also, it is not generally necessary for students to do their internships near their college. They can seek out internships nationally or even internationally (or, if you prefer, closer to home). Therefore, that should not be considered a big distinguishing factor.</p>

<p>I think I would be more interested in post-graduation placement rates/opportunities and starting salaries.</p>

<p>“I think I would be more interested in post-graduation placement rates/opportunities and starting salaries.” </p>

<p>Since he is planning on getting his Masters for sure and probably his PhD, we’re focusing on the schools themselves for now. Unfortunately, there is no BME industry near us, so he wouldn’t be interning near home regardless.</p>

<p>Does anyone know about what Miami’s BMEs are doing post-grad? I’ve been accepted for the program as well as the general honors college there and I’m not really sure what their BMEs end up doing after graduating; which is one of the main things holding me back from attending.</p>

<p>My DS is going to Miami for BME in the fall. We met with the chairman of the dept (Dr. Odzmar) as well as the director of admissions for the college of engineering (David Poole). Both were really helpful in providing info about the program, the opportunities during college and career opps. We also stopped at the Toppel Career Center to ask about career counseling and opportunities for engineers. I’m sorry I cannot recall details (it was 2 months ago), but I can tell you we were very pleased. I would recommend you contact the department. Vivian is the secretary at the College of Engineering and she was super helpful. David can also give you a comparison of Miami with your other schools (although he is admittedly biased).</p>