Biomedical engineering with pre-med

I am very confused. I would like to medicine like hardcore, I can’t really see myself doing anything else. However If I can’t become a doctor due to scores, I would be fine doing biomedical engineering. So as expected I want to major in bio/biomedical engineering with pre-med. But the problem arises that It is very hard to do it, some school requiring 4 years+ summers, and some schools even 5 years of undergrad. Furthermore biomedical engineering doesn’t cover that many med school requirements/ topics, meaning I would need to study even harder for the MCAT, and it will be harder for me, as compared to another non engineering STEM major. Should I still apply for biomedical engineering with premed as a first major, or should apply with neuroscience as a first major? If I cant get into medical school due to scores, at least i will have a fallback as a biomedical engineer, however with neuroscience if i cant become a doctor there aren’t many high paying jobs with it.

please guide me if you can, thank you!

So many people take this path but I will say with caution. Biomedical engineering is really tough and I think most programs require a masters. Some schools have a BS/MS - 5 year program.

The problem is the ability to keep your GPA at like 3.8. That is very hard to do for any engineering discipline especially Biomedical. Lots of engineering schools the 4 year GPA is like 3.3. Most companies want you above a 3.0 and some don’t look at you unless your a 3.5.

But some do it, but it will be challenging.

You’re right. I’ll offer a small but important correction here: there aren’t many jobs for an undergraduate degree in neuroscience, period. High-paying jobs are rare.

My kid (about to start college) was thinking of doing biomedical engineering major. We discovered that the biomedical engineering departments all reported that a decent number of their majors are premed. It should be familiar ground for the advisors.

I agree with @Knowsstuff says above. Yes it will be harder than other majors, but it is a very solid plan B (every premed needs a plan B). If everything goes according to Plan A, your major doesn’t matter much. Plan B is trickier.

If you decide against biomedical engineering, don’t do a neuroscience major: biology or biochemistry majors are better since they don’t trap you in a niche. Think carefully about the approach you want to take.

2 Likes

Major in something that you can maintain a high GPA and you find it interesting.

3 Likes

My family member majored in biomedical engineering and was hired his senior year. He worked for a few years and then got his masters.

What about biochem or biostats?

We know bioengineering majors who had absolutely no difficulty taking the courses required for medical school applicants as elective courses.

1 Like

Med schools like biomed engineers, since they know that these mds may be future designers of new medical devices. So i would say go for it.

2 Likes

My D just graduated as a Biomedical Engineering Major. At her school I heard an advisor say once that they don’t recommend it for pre-med because it IS a harder route. HOWEVER, they also say about 1/3 of their undergrad majors are pre-med (1/3 plans to go the PhD route and another 1/3 plans to work “in industry” after graduation). In my daughter’s class pretty much everyone graduated in 4 years and the med school admissions were pretty impressive. I think it’s a great major if you’re interested in it, but if med school is your dream, there are much easier routes.

3 Likes

Are you an international student?

1 Like

You write much like an international student. If you are international, you may not have much luck in being accepted by a US medical school program. If you’re Canadian, your chances are a tiny bit better, but not by much.

Are you an international candidate?

2 Likes