Birmingham to Campus - is there anything cheaper than $160!

<p>YIKES…just pricing transportation to get my oldest D to campus to visit her little sis this weekend and go to a game. Flight lands at 12 noon on Friday and she is coming home on Monday morning.</p>

<p>Cheapest I have found is Door to Door at $160. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I bought D a RT Ticket and she has a student ticket that her sister bought before my hubby lost his job. Trying to keep this a cheap trip for her.</p>

<p>Prestige and Crown were both at $230 round trip…not counting tip.</p>

<p>D, who is student at UA, had her wallet stolen on Saturday so using a ZipCar is out.</p>

<p>What about ACR Express</p>

<p>ACR Express provides bus service between the UA campus and the Birmingham Airport, Monday-Friday. They are currently using the schedule for Run #3. For more information, call 662-244-5773. Pricing and schedules for Run #3 [ACR</a> EXPRESS | ACR Coach](<a href=“http://acrcoach.com/tickets/acr-express/]ACR”>http://acrcoach.com/tickets/acr-express/)</p>

<p>M2CK she would be at the airport waiting for 3 hours…which is not a big deal, but there is no way to get her back on Monday morning either.</p>

<p>Hoping to find a better alternative.</p>

<p>What time is her Mon morning flight?</p>

<p>Her flight departs Birmingham on Monday at 7am!</p>

<p>Have faith that the wallet will turn up somehow.</p>

<p>Have you tried to post on the UA ride share or zimride pages?</p>

<p>Also check into Greyhound. She will have to get a taxi from the airport to the Greyhound station and then from campus to the Greyhound station in T-town for the return. However the two taxi rides should be much less than $160.</p>

<p>*Her flight departs Birmingham on Monday at 7am!
*</p>

<p>That’s a big problem. Few options available to get her to B’ham by 6am for a 7am flight on a Monday morn. Ride shares not likely. Not may options that would be cheaper because of the day/time issues. </p>

<p>As it is, she’ll have to leave Ttown by about 4:45 am.</p>

<p>where was D’s wallet stolen from?</p>

<p>D’s wallet was stolen from Rounder’s on Saturday night along with iPhone. She kept calling and calling and finally someone picked it up and she could hear people talking in the background while someone just listed…then they hung up. </p>

<p>Sadly, I am pretty convinced that it is gone. I guess one of her friends had the same thing happen the same night. Who knows what was going on. It’s very crowded and does not have to be another student, lots of other people there too. Could have been anyone. D realized it when she walked out, said that she had it 20 minutes before amd her purse never left her side.</p>

<p>She has no cash, no ACT card, no credit card, no ID, no key card for apartment and has 4 tests this week and two papers due. Needless to say she completely melted down yesterday.</p>

<p>Have to say that getting the ACT card was WONDERFUL. They understood and helped her out. The rest, all out of state…not so much. We are FedXing her passport so that she has an ID as we cannot get her a new DL from Illinois before she comes home at Christmas. So no more zipcar for her. CC will take 7 to 10 business days and I did ask them to expedite it. Sending her a Western Union cash to Publix to tide her over. Boyfriend gave her $25 for a new key card. </p>

<p>Never realized what a mess it was to replace all that stuff long distance but I think I have it covered.</p>

<p>Wow…someone reached into her purse and grabbed wallet and iPhone…while the purse was with her the whole time? </p>

<p>I know that my son had his wallet stolen (his fault totally) because he set his wallet down while playing darts in some Ttown bar. The wallet was found (less the cash) outside of the bar. Credit cards and DL still inside. Some jerk just wanted the cash (son’s Bday cash was in there)…but grateful that’s all he wanted.</p>

<p>Do iPhones have any kind of tracking devices on them?</p>

<p>no credit card</p>

<p>Another reason to open a local bank acct. when older son lost his debit card and DL (lost wallet) as a frosh, Alabama credit union gave him another one that same day. He got a new ACT card from Student Services, walked over to the AL CU across the way, and got a new debit card.</p>

<p>I really wish I had thought of that much earlier Mom…We are going to be on campus in two weeks for Homecoming and I am going to put money in the Credit Union for sure. This was a tough one to get past.</p>

<p>No tracking on this one, but T Mobile was able to essentially make the phone a brick. No calls can be made, it cannot be used in any way…so she is fine. Now we are sending her an old Android…Oh the horror of no iPhone, but I can’t afford another phone at $500 a pop. lol </p>

<p>D swears the purse never came off her, but who knows…I’m never one to say ‘not my kid’. lol</p>

<p>Tmobile has FamilyWhere. Call Tmobile up and see if they can use FamilyWhere to find that phone’s location.</p>

<p>I really wish states would make it easier for college students to replace DLs when they’re away at college. :(</p>

<p>iPhones use the find my iPhone app. The new IOS7 version of the iPhone software has improved on this even more. You can send a message to the phones home screen to alert the thief/finder how to return it or you can remotely wipe the phones information. More importantly you can track the location of the phone via the built in GPS</p>

<p>She can rent a car through Hertz for that time frame for $61 (for ages 20 - 24). Sent you message with info.</p>

<p>I don’t know if renting a car won’t present new problems unless she can park it at your D’s apt for the weekend of a home game. If she can, then that may be the best idea.</p>

<p>D swears the purse never came off her, but who knows…I’m never one to say ‘not my kid’. lol</p>

<p>it might not have come off her. However, she may have reached into her purse to get something else (makeup, whatever) and pulled the phone and wallet out for better visibility into the purse, and then forgot to put those things back in. (I’ve done that. :frowning: )</p>