Birthday party

<p>Putting this here as the Bama family seems the most helpful :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Having a party for son’s 18th birthday. He thinks it will be amusing to hand out goodie bags like you did when your kids were little. I am willing to do it, but prefer for it not to be a total waste of money. What ideas do you guys have for things that are small enough and inexpensive enough to put in goodie bags, yet all the kids could use these things next year at college? </p>

<p>All of the kids coming will be first in their families to go to a US college (except one has an older brother currently in college). </p>

<p>Not a huge party- only a dozen kids so can go up to $10 or so for stuff to go in it. Thoughts?</p>

<p>I bet there is 1 particular person on these threads who will chime in with some great ideas…she’s probably already done this sort of thing a la the First 12 Days of Dorm Survival! :slight_smile:
I love goodie bags, and the more clever, the better.
How about (off the top of my head), a stamped, self-addressed postcard/letter or two (with their parents’ home address already filled out)…a small roll of quarters for laundry…packs of gum…small gift cards to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts…package of 3M no-nail hangers…3 small nails nonetheless (be a rebel)…small sponge or dishcloth…small scissors/nailclippers/comb/mirror…mini flashlight…night light for the hallway…batteries…magnets for the fridge…gosh, there is a lot of little stuff you can buy that is a buck or two (buy packages and split up the contents and/or visit the Dollar Tree).
Here’s the clever part, tho - be sure to include a card or note that lists why you chose these things and make it funny with double meanings. S got a single roll of toilet paper and a small box of laundry detergent (guess which one). Cue rolled eyes here. But it WAS cute! Yes, “ROLL” + “TIDE”!</p>

<p>Those are some great ideas. None of the kids know where they are going yet. They all know where they will go if they get accepted everywhere- but my son is the only one who has an acceptance in hand at this point. So I can’t do school specific ideas, but you have given me a ton of ideas.</p>

<p>One question- quarters for laundry? Do most schools still do it that way? I thought it would all be on a card.</p>

<p>A toothbrush. LOL! I put these in one year when my kids were little as I found some that were the theme of the party. Everyone needs a toothbrush and the kids all loved them. As for the college aged kids, it’s one of those items that for most it “just appears” as mom buys them at the grocery store and they are always just “there”. </p>

<p>Bandaids are also good and another of those items that is always just “there” at home.<br>
All those little things that most kids don’t think about as they are always just there. </p>

<p>Like the ideas posted by aeromom and a note explaining why.</p>

<p>I love the note explaining idea. I used to make a 40th survival kit for friends and include stuff like this:</p>

<p>40 erasers - to wipe out the mistakes you’ve made in the past
40 sheets of paper - to write the next chapter in your life
40 beans - because you have BEEN such a good friend to us all.
And finally, some Thyme - because everyone can use a little more time.</p>

<p>You can use 18 instead, you get the idea. It could be so cute! The $store is the best for stuff like that. :slight_smile: Good luck!</p>

<p>Oh my gosh…so sorry about not chiming in earlier but have been working on sorority recruitment all morning.
Have you seen those little survival kits that they have at Walgreens ect…They are labeled “I have a Headache”. I would make a college survival kit…I love aeromoms ideas!!! Very clever. And yes make up a little card that goes in each one that explains the reason for each item…I would add some Hersheys Hugs and some Kisses! I would add a mini water gun…a stress ball…
The other thing you could do is make one of those posters with the candy bars…some thing that says… I wish I could give you a 100 GRAND (candy bar taped here) as a thank you for coming to celebrate my birthday but my parents would probably send me out in ORBIT (gum). So you will have to settle for this treat bag filled with things you can use if you meet and HOT TAMALES at college. You will also find some items to help you down the ROCKY ROAD of college. Hope you don’t have BUTTERFINGERs along the way. I know that U-KNO that we will SNICKER at each other every now and then.
Then I would give them a treat bag with band aids, breath mints, hand sanitizer, a few quarters maybe a stress ball, a little flash light…
Hope this helps! Am sewing felted camel ornaments for all the children in our church’s Christmas Program…I have 8 left!!!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the great ideas- and Apimomy- no worries- i haven’t had time to do the shopping for it yet- will probably tomorrow. Thanks!!</p>

<p>Too bad you don’t know where they are off to you - lanyards or key chains for their prospective schools would be good. </p>

<p>How about teeny tiny bottles of cleaning supplies and bag/label them as all the cleaning supplies boys will use by the time they earn their 4 year degrees?</p>