Birthday

<p>So far we have “almost” spent every B’day in T-Town. Youngest Daughter was there for DD’s orientation, I was there for Move in and good-bye and now our DD will be celebrating her 18th without us there. I was so hoping to get something fun delivered to her dorm, but I know that can’t happen due to policies. So any ideas on how I can make it special? I know some of you have had to go through the same thing, so your ideas would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Awww JosieP it is hard to be away from them for birthdays! We used Mary’s Bakery in Northport.</p>

<p>[Welcome</a> to our website : Mary’s Cakes & Pastries](<a href=“http://www.maryscakesandpastries.com%5DWelcome”>http://www.maryscakesandpastries.com)</p>

<p>They did an amazing job of doing Birthday cookies for her and her roommates. They had D’s initials and 18 on them. Very nice and they kids all loved them.</p>

<p>We sent our daughter an Edible Arrangement on Wed. to celebrate the first day of classes. It was delivered to her dorm no problem. Didn’t realize it was against the rules.</p>

<p>Go on the Bama Dining website. Click on Parents. There you can buy a cake from Bama Dining. I thought I saw somewhere that they delivered but I don’t see it now. They will get a notification to pick it up at Lakeside Dining. Doesn’t seem as nice if they have to go get it though. But I don’t know how else to get one to my son in November.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions. Busymom, how did you get the cookies to her?? Love that idea!
Also Sniner, I am amazed it worked, what dorm is your D in?</p>

<p>RCS North tower. I just called one day and asked do you deliver to the dorms and they said yes.</p>

<p>Son’s 18th birthday was today and I decided to send him a “Birthday in a box” from Cheryls (a cookie company) which included a tiny bundt cake, candles, lots of cookies and some candy. Looked great on the website. When I called they said they would deliver it yesterday by 10:00 a.m. to the ferg address the post office gave us for all packages- this was a day early but I thought with the problems at the post office that this would be a good precaution. Talked to my son today and although he went to the post office, there wasn’t a notice in his box about the package so he didn’t get the box. After I heard this I told him to go right then to stand in line and ask if there was a package for him (Webster signed for it the day before). Unfortunately the post office was closed (around 4:00ish) when he got there so I guess he will get it Monday. It was UPS - I wish I had sent it to Paty instead so he would have had it today. Live and learn! Hopefully he has a happy birthday…he had nothing planned when I talked to him but I am sure he will do something. OP, Happy Birthday a little early to your daughter.</p>

<p>Awe, I am so sorry that did not work. How very frustrating!!! Thanks for the website! Will check it out. My D got her PO box at the UPS store, so hopefully it will work for her.
Well I wish your son a Happy 18th! Hopefully he will find something fun to do, do his roommates know it’s his special day? Cheers to your son!</p>

<p>Thanks. I think his roommates know, but these are 18 year old guys so I really don’t know if they would even think of doing anything special. (Now if it were girls…) That’s okay, we celebrated it before we dropped him off last week so whatever happens (or doesn’t happen) I am sure he will be fine.</p>

<p>Sniner- where does it say it’s against the rules? My son is in the same dorm. I’d like to do the same thing. How did they actually deliver it to him?</p>

<p>JosieP implied it was not allowed. I was surprised since we had just had something delivered. We just called the local (in T-town) Edible Arrangement store and got it ordered/delivered. She was thrilled with it!!!</p>

<p>Non-package delivery companies such as flower shops, bakeries, pizza places, etc. can and do deliver to dorms. The student will likely have to be there to receive the item(s), but it is done.</p>

<p>Does Publix offer free personalization on their pre-made cakes? If so, the student could pick out a cake they want and have the bakery staff write Happy Birthday on it.</p>

<p>If your student likes to cook, Publix should be able to sell you a special order steak or roast that they can cook themselves. Sure it’s not ready-made, but there are many students who would appreciate a filet mignon, prime rib, salmon filet, etc. to make how they want. Publix does sell barbecue accessories so one could use the grills outside [almost] every dorm and grill their birthday meat.</p>

<p>Speaking as one with a birthday that always falls during a break and who doesn’t eat traditional cakes, I’m not as familiar with what is common to do. Even when I celebrate my birthday at home, it consists of going out to dinner or eating my favorite foods at home and having a cheesecake or angel food cake. Angel food cakes transport well and are also easy to make in dorm kitchens.</p>

<p>As for celebrating friends’ birthdays, students usually go out to dinner, all paying for their own meals, and buy the birthday person a drink if it’s their 21st birthday. As we get older, birthdays are more for being around people we enjoy and maybe treating ourselves to some nice food.</p>

<p>Thank you so much Sea-Tide. So happy to know she can receive something at her dorm, I was under the impression that it was against the rules. Makes it all much easier!
Thank you everyone for your responses! I will let you know what I end up doing. :-)</p>

<p>Well today is her birthday and thanks to some amazing suite-mates and other friends she will have a great day. We were face-timing with her this morning while she opened her care pkg from home, and yup a few tears were shed. I am still feeling quite sad, but I am confident she will have a great day!
Her friends are taking her to dinner tonight at the Full Moon and other friends will be there to surprise her. I ordered a cookie cake through Lakeside and her friend is picking that up. I also called Publix for a balloon bouquet, and I can’t even get over how nice RJ in the flower department is. They did not have “#18” balloons and so he referred me over to another Publix, after I explained that these girls were new to T-town and would have a hard time finding it, he said “well Ma’am, then I will be happy to go and get the balloon bouquet for you and bring it to my store to make it easier for them”. Such kindness just about brought another huge cry-session on, but I held it together. I cannot, cannot get over how amazing and helpful the people in Tuscaloosa are. It truly just blows my mind! Everyone is taking my credit card over the phone, so no costs incurred by anyone. It all worked out!!! Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions.</p>

<p>That post made me smile, JosieP. :slight_smile: Please tell her we said HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!</p>

<p>Hmmm… I am pretty sure my D will be at your D’s party tonight. Too funny! Just sent you a PM</p>

<p>What a small world, YAY!!! Got to love CC!!!</p>

<p>Happy birthday to your daughter, Josie!</p>

<p>Is this the kind of party 4 good-looking, hard-working engineering male students can crash?</p>

<p>Class2012Mom: I am the birthday girl’s boyfriend. I say no to the 4 good-looking, hard-working engineering male students :slight_smile: especially since I’m stuck back home :)</p>