Black Class of 2013 hs Thread

<p>The only thing I can think of off hand is the Common Data Set for each school… maybe someone else knows?</p>

<p>@Philovitist I think because of possible “discrimination” they can’t really release that information, but I know it exists somewhere.</p>

<p>This might not be exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s probably the best you’ll find: <a href=“http://www.jbhe.com/2011/12/jbhe-annual-survey-black-first-year-students-at-the-nations-leading-research-universities/[/url]”>www.jbhe.com/2011/12/jbhe-annual-survey-black-first-year-students-at-the-nations-leading-research-universities/</a></p>

<p>Woww i really like berkeley & ucla, buut like 3-4% black ppl ? No bueno :/</p>

<p>Right?
A disappointing trend amongst most top colleges.</p>

<p>They probably have groups for black kids to get together and meet up</p>

<p>Anyone going to Howard? My #1 school!</p>

<p>Hey everyone!</p>

<p>My junior year has been SUPER STRESSFUL with SAT’s and my huge course load. Anyway, here are my top colleges:</p>

<ol>
<li>Penn State University Park</li>
<li>University of Delaware</li>
<li>University of Maryland</li>
<li>Temple University</li>
<li>UConn
Safeties:</li>
<li>Ole Miss</li>
<li>University of Arizona</li>
</ol>

<p>I saw some of you talking about the amount of black people that go to your top schools. Is it wrong that the number of black people at a school doesn’t bother me? Lol I say that because most of my friends are white and I’m just not used to being around a lot of black people. Also, how many of you plan to go to med school?</p>

<p>For me, I’m not looking for huge percentage of blacks at top schools, but just enough so that I will feel comfortable to act “normal” when I’m around people of a similar background. Schools with 3 or 4 % Black student enrollment are unacceptable.</p>

<p>I’d like to go on to Med school! </p>

<p>I’m applying to Brown’s PLME. <em>^▁^</em></p>

<p>Most schools publish a common data set… I have heard from others here on CC that UPENN’s is painfully skewed in their favor… </p>

<p>The common data set is where you can find the breakdown of blacks on each campus. Here again, many schools don’t publish one…</p>

<p>I have found very few schools(that my dd14 is interested in) that are over 10%. The reality is, we are just not on these campuses in huge droves… </p>

<p>@FUTUREDOCTOR–I just saw on the news where Penn States accreditation might be taken away… not sure what that means in terms of students who are enrolled OR those who plan on enrolling…</p>

<p>@NewHavenCTmom If Penn State’s accreditation is taken away, I shouldn’t even apply. I think that means my degree won’t be respected. I definitely know it means the equivalent of getting a degree from ITT tech lol! But if that happens, I just won’t apply there because I can’t get into med school without a respected degree.</p>

<p>@Alexissss, that’s cool! Maybe we’ll end up in the same residency lol! What type of doctor do you want to be? I either want to get into internal medicine or neurosurgery :D</p>

<p>Are you guys attaching a resume to your applications?</p>

<p>Sent from my Inspire 4G using CC</p>

<p>I’m not attaching one. I was told it wasn’t needed and may be seen as overkill. </p>

<p>@futuredoctor I’m interested in neurosurgery!</p>

<p>Probably not. I think if I just include my activities in my app and write a good essay, I’ll be fine!</p>

<p>@Alexis That’s cool! I hope it all works out for you in the future!</p>

<p>Thanks! I hope the same for you.
:-D</p>

<p>Same here! I’m not expecting a regular college to be like HBCU status when it comes to the percent of students who are black, I just want to feel comfortable.</p>

<p>I’m planning on going to med school to become a psychiatrist.</p>

<p>Psychiatry interests me for some weird reason lol. I don’t know why, but it’s always interested me ever since I took my Morality course junior year. But it’s good to see that we got some black doctors up in here :D</p>

<p>Just dropping by the thread to wish good luck to you all in the college admissions process!</p>

<p>So much craziness.</p>