Black Class of 2013 hs Thread

<p>Howard is my number what I have a 2.7 gpa low and a low sat but I’m taking it again in November. I have a lot of extra curricular’s what are my chances of getting in?</p>

<p>Courtanne - Naviance at my son’s school shows lowest gpa accepted was 2.9 and lowest SAT was 1340/2400. Everyone lower than 1340 was rejected, even those with GPAs over 3.5. The 2.9 looks to have had about a 1600/2400</p>

<p>Lacrossemom - I’m hoping that his acceptance into the fly-in is a good sign. I know he wouldn’t be applying if he had been turned down. The only other fly-in he 's applying for is University of Rochester. I’ll def report back on Hamilton but S is very tight lipped about stuff. Everything is “fine” lol</p>

<p>Or you can apply for next semester so if he/she had a higher gpa when graduated they might have a better chance.</p>

<p>My son did his diversity overnight at Hamilton this past weekend and loved it. It’s now his #1 choice and he might apply ED. I asked if his host was black and he said he was 3/8 hispanic and 1/8 asian. I asked him how many other black kids were at the overnight and he remembered seeing only 2 others out of 40+ students. It’s possible that he wasn’t paying much attention though. I find that number hard to believe though.</p>

<p>Wow the consparsion is low but that doesn’t mean the campus/class is like that.And its great he visited the campus so got a feel of how it is.And if his high school is racially diverse similar to the college he might not feel out of place.</p>

<p>I have yet to visit any of the colleges I’m applying to except one that I had a field trip to in sophmore yet.I highly doubt I’ll get in but I use to really want to go to UC Berkeley now I realize its too close to home and my grades aren’t up to their usuals.</p>

<p>I’m applying to 7 colleges-2UCs and 5CSUs eventhough I might just go to communty college</p>

<p>Reeinez-Glad to hear about Hamilton. Is he still applying ED?</p>

<p>Lacrossemom - Yep. The application has already been submitted. He’s just waiting on his high school to send their documents.</p>

<p>Hamilton is a great school. Good luck!</p>

<p>Man, college applications are a lot of work. Here is my final list:</p>

<ol>
<li>Boston University</li>
<li>Howard University</li>
<li>Spelman College</li>
<li>Stanford University (yeaa, i know lol)</li>
<li>Temple University</li>
<li>University of California, Berkeley</li>
<li>University of California, Irvine</li>
<li>University of California, Los Angeles</li>
<li>University of California, San Diego</li>
<li>University of Minnesota-Twin Cities</li>
<li>University of Southern California</li>
<li>University of Washington</li>
</ol>

<p>*I’m also applying to 4 CSU’s just in case: CSUB, CSULB, CSUF, CSUN.</p>

<p>Buttafly-That is a wide list. Assume you live in CA to apply to so many UC schools. Make sure you get the Howard application in early so you get merit scholarships. Hampton also give merit.</p>

<p>For Stanford are you applying SCEA?</p>

<p>Yes, I live in California. That’s the main reason I am applying to Howard is for the merit scholarships. Do they run out quickly? I’ll look into Hampton but I don’t really like the location. I don’t know if you can tell but all my colleges except for UCI and Stanford are in cities. I want to be in a big city. No I am not applying SCEA, my application to Stanford is not even close to ready.</p>

<p>Howard’s merit is first come.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank You!</p>

<p>Yay another person from California…out of state schools would probably admit you since you’re out of state and will pay more…or maybe that’s for people coming to california.
I guess I won’t be applying to 5 CSUs since neither of my parents will give me $55…I used all the fee waviers on
San Diego
Long Beach
Humbolt
San Francisco</p>

<p>I’ll apply to UC Berkeley and San Diego later.</p>

<p>No out for state for me since my mom wants me to stay home and commute.</p>

<p>I mean CSU East Bay instead of San Diego…I should have applied to SD 1st because east bay doesn’t have much</p>

<p>How are you going to stay home to commute? If you live in Southern California you would have to live on/near campus to go to San Francisco State, Humboldt State, or East Bay. If you live in Northern California, you would have to live on/near campus to go to Long Beach State or San Diego. Are you applying to any other UCs?</p>

<p>No I’m actually from Northern California I just really want to go to Socal.I want another living experience near the beach which is why I really want to to go far away.(Humbolt is the only most northern school I applied to but I kind of regret it since my brother is trying to scare me.He says there’s racist rednecks up there).</p>

<p>San Fransico is just a bart ride away but it’d take maybe 30mins to hour depending on if I miss the train.If I only get accepted to schools that are far away my mom would probably make me stay home and go to community college.Since I don’t work its not like I could pay for college or make that $400 deposit all on my own.</p>

<p>My brother plans to go to Santa Monica CC eventhough he could stay and finish his last semester to hopefully transfer to UCLA.</p>

<p>My mom just thinks I should go that route like him since it’ll be cheaper but I’m not the same.I actually know what I want to major in and have grades that could probably get me into a 4yr straight from hs.</p>

<p>@Buttafly13 TEMPLE! Lol but Temple is a really good choice for a college. Nothing’s better than to be 3 miles from downtown in the best city on Earth, Philadelphia! Also, good luck on getting into the other ones that you listed!</p>

<p>@ForeIN My mom is trying to force me to go to CC too! She thinks that it will be cheaper, and to be honest she’s probably right. But she tends to forget that I can get all types of scholarships since I have a high GPA. Plus, I know what I want out of a college. I know what I want to major in, what type of setting I want, what size campus I want, etc. A lot of people go to CC because they are unsure of what they want to do and who they want to be, but I’m not one of them!</p>