Black Class of 2013 hs Thread

<p>^Welcome to CC!! And yeah I’ve been thinking about essays as well…</p>

<p>I encourage you to search for the diversity fly in link and determine which schools you want to apply for. It says 2011, however when you go to the school’s link it usually has 2012 info up now. Yes, there are several conflicting dates which is fine. My thought is for her to apply yo several and then we will decide based on where she gets accepted. She will still do her applications in August to the majority of her schools. If she likes any of the flyin schools they will come with an application waiver and she can apply if she wants.</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone getting SATs today and ACT on Monday.</p>

<p>I saw that 2011 list on Get me to College website yesterday and I emailed the author of that list and she said she is updating it now for 2012. </p>

<p>We are lucky b/c we are so close to most of the ivies and visiting is not a huge financial glut. But it would be nice for her to be able to do a diversity/fly in weekend BEFORE applying. I am sure there is nothing like being on a campus overnight, going to class with a peer… & seeing a campus from a students point of view. It is nice that Dartmouth does it and I am so surprised that this information has not popped up here on CC before now! I wonder how most students are finding out about it. As only a handful of students are here on CC.</p>

<p>i see now that Dartmouth is on that list… sorry… didn’t notice it before!</p>

<p>Anyone know the best way to prepare for the SAT? I got horrid scores back after no studying… Any good books?</p>

<p>@sieboone</p>

<p>Head over to the SAT Preparation forums on this site…and you will find tons of advice/info there! More information than you will ever be able to use…Locate Xiggi’s and Silverturtles guide… even Cheerioswithmilk has one… </p>

<p>They will all tell you to grab the College Board Blue Book --also the College Board has an online SAT course that is pretty good. My daughter is using it now.</p>

<p>It took me so long to decide on where I really wanted to go. I had a list of like 40 colleges and now I capped where I’m applying to at 15.</p>

<p>My 15 as of now in order
Dartmouth/Brown
Bowdoin
University of Richmond/Colgate
Amherst/Williams
Emory
Washington University in St.Louis
Hamilton/Wesleyan
Wake Forest
Pepperdine
Trinity (CT)</p>

<p>Where I’m unsure about
Georgetown
George Washington
Vandy
Notre Dame
USC
Tulane
Colby</p>

<p>Where I will apply just in case I guess
University of Houston
Baylor
Maybe a HBCU</p>

<p>USC!! USC!! USC!!
My dream school lol</p>

<p>has anyone taken note of any full tuition scholarships for low income minority students other than Gates Millennium and Ron Brown Foundation? Im just trying to see what else is out there:).</p>

<p>No I haven’t yet I’m just looking at scholarships like that one contest for drawing RedVines</p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-M910 using CC</p>

<p>Hey! Is anyone considering applying to any women’s colleges? I’m gonna apply to Barnard and Wellesley & I’m considering Smith</p>

<p>Not at all!</p>

<p>Well. I didn’t apply because I did not feel ready for college. Also, my home life has been so horrid, I’m in desperate need of a break.
Finally, I wanted my senior year GPA to factor into my overall GPA so I wouldn’t look so silly. :-D</p>

<p>berries123- I applied and was accepted to Smith. Barnard was too city for me, Wellesley I just didn’t like, very already out. </p>

<p>All great schools. Make sure you visit each one before matriculating. I was dead set on Smith, even after visiting a couple of times. On my last visit, when there were actual students there, I realized just how small it was, and I didn’t like it. </p>

<p>alexissss- well good luck this cycle! (and I just noticed a typo in my other post, how embarrassing).</p>

<p>Hey!
I’m new at this but I’m looking at…
UFlorida
Florida State
UGeorgia
Duke
UCentral Florida</p>

<p>@CPUscientist3000- Thanks for the advice! I’ve already visited Barnard and I plan on visiting Wellesley and Smith soon.</p>

<p>@CPU </p>

<p>Thanks so much! I’ll need it. The competition seems pretty steep. Lol.</p>

<p>Its so close…anyone started on essays yet?</p>

<p>yea I started on my common app essay and the essays for UChicago.</p>

<p>I’ve started brainstorming.
I’m not going to go full out until August 1st, when the common app comes out. </p>

<p>Have you all begun thinking about scholarships?</p>

<p>Yeah, but I haven’t actually started applying yet. But I will start everything tomorrow.</p>