Black guy. White fraternity

<p>I would like to hear more about this regardless of the sincerity of the original post. Is it true that the fraternities and sororities at UA are segregated?</p>

<p>I don’t know much about frat life but the sororities definitely are. It’s not segregated in the way that the word segregation makes one think and feel. The girls (and I would hope the boys as well) are NOT racist. The sororities are separate but friendships and relationships are not made based on race.</p>

<p>Why are they segregated?</p>

<p>It’s definitely just tradition. The alumni have a lot of say as of right now. There are women still involved that grew up during the civil rights movement. I don’t see it changing in the near future but I think over time something will have to change. I’m also not sure how many African American women actually try to rush a Panhellenic sorority every because they hear they are segregated and/or don’t have interest because of this or for another reason. If large numbers are actually getting dropped because of race it’s more of a big deal than a few girls who could very well have been dropped for other reasons.</p>

<p>I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think this is just a UA thing. When I went to Duke, there were several traditionally black fraternities and sororities, and they held their own rush and had separate events, etc. It was more of a self-segregation thing, not a “shunning” type of thing. If a black person (or any other race) wanted to join a “regular” Panhel or IFC sorority or fraternity, there was no problem with that at the vast majority of fraternities and sororities. My sorority had members of pretty much every race I can think of.</p>

<p>I suspect it works much the same way at UA, but hopefully someone with more firsthand knowledge will chime in.</p>

<p>When one or more of the “top tier” sororities take an African American member - or two or three or four - then the rest of them will consider it.</p>

<p>But very, very few women of color have actually gone out for rush. There might be two or three every year. The most I’ve ever seen is four.
Alumni are part of the problem, but so is the idea that no fraternity will have a mixer with a sorority with a black member.</p>

<p>Black women also encounter discouragement from members of their own race, who feel they should stick with the traditionally AA Greek groups.</p>

<p>Historically black groups - members of the National Pan-Hellenic Conference - are both male and female groups and maintain a very strong history and tradition. They conduct their membership selection entirely differently from the historically white groups. Candidates must be upperclassmen, to begin with, and must select the group they are going to pursue before they even start. If they are unsuccessful with one group, it is extremely rare to pursue another.</p>

<p>Wow, awesome info Southlander. I had not seen any African American Women at preview weekend so I had a feeling not many rushed in the first place. I also had no idea about the pressure of tradition from the other side as well. Again, awesome info.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I take back what I said above. Maybe a truly southern Greek culture is more different from other Greek scenes than I had thought.</p>

<p>I actually read that comment late last night and had trouble falling asleep. If true, it’s very disturbing.</p>

<p>Would they have a mixer? Would they not?
The fact is…nobody knows.
The sorority that did pledge an African American girl in 2002 - apparently she never went to any of the mixers. From what I understand, she was not actually in the sorority very long.</p>

<p>That sorority seems to be the bottom house currently. I have only been exposed to UA Greek life for about four years so I’m not sure what the tiers were like prior to 2002. Does anyone know? It is pretty sad that one bid would haunt the sorority for 11 years.</p>

<p>Lisa, that is why it will have to be a top tier sorority that breaks the barrier. My own D’s sorority accepted an AA girl about 10 years ago, and they were shunned from social events almost to the point of ruin. No one wants to join if there aren’t activities with fraternities, since they have the parties. And sororities need members to pay dues. So, it is a vicious cycle.</p>

<p>Please don’t mistake this as evidence of racism on the part of current members. While I’m sure people like that do exist, the girls I know would welcome some diversity.</p>

<p>Silently going along with a racist system in order to reap the rewards thereof sure looks like subtle bias, which is a form of racism.</p>

<p>maybe ALL the sororities need to pledge AA girls at the same time. then if the fraternities want to shun the sororities with AA girls, they won’t have anyone to mix with or date or anything.</p>

<p>Or maybe the fraternities should quit being racist.</p>

<p>yeah, maybe so. but sometimes people don’t change unless they “have” to.</p>

<p>“maybe ALL the sororities need to pledge AA girls at the same time. then if the fraternities want to shun the sororities with AA girls, they won’t have anyone to mix with or date or anything.”</p>

<p>This is exactly what I was thinking.</p>

<p>However, it was mentioned earlier and I am not sure how much of this has a part in what girls the sororities take but… How does having greek chapters on campus that are solely for one ethnic group play a part in the mainstream chapters accepting those students? How do the members of these chapters treat girls/guys that want to be in or become a part of the mainstream chapters vs ones based on race?</p>

<p>Reading a bit online in news articles this is not just a UA issue. Another interesting tidbit that I did know is that the chapters based on race start recruiting in high school. Which can lead some to stay with that instead of going thru rush for all sororities. </p>

<p>Just wondering as well…
Based on campus enrollment numbers what are the percentages of girls in a sorority?
Guys in a fraternity? Membership numbers in the ethnic chapters? If we looked at it from that aspect would it show that the number of UA students involved in Greek life is pretty even across the board from all ethnicities? Just wondering</p>

<p>Its shocking to hear that this crap is still going on down there. The fact that UA has allowed this to go on is an indictment on the university itself.</p>

<p>I’m not shocked at all. People want to wish away racism instead of dealing with it. It was institutionalised! Still is, if you consider UA the institution that brings all these students together and allow them to continue segregating. </p>

<p>Good luck to OP. I’d dissuade my child from having any ambitions of integrating any greek organisation - not worth the trouble.</p>

<p>collegedadnh, research segregation in greek life across the country. It is not just at UA or “down there”. It happens in the north and in California. There also seems to be an issue of “racism” within the multi-cultural greek system and chapters at other schools across the country.</p>

<p>This is NOT just a UA issue.</p>

<p>Racism, just like any other prejudice, lives within the thoughts and hearts of individuals and not within organizations or universities. Look at the number of OOS members and it is clear this is not exclusive to Alabama if it is indeed racism.</p>