Black or not black

<p>I'm very mixed my mom is from Haiti and full black. But my dad us half Irish and Cherokee. What should I put down for race?</p>

<p>If your dad is registered with a tribe you could put down American Indian. Otherwise put black or whichever of the other two you most identify with.</p>

<p>If you have to ask then you are not. But honestly yeah I say yes.</p>

<p>I don’t think the OP is asking whether she’s black or not, but rather what she should mark down on her applications.
If her applications give her the choice to mark down all that apply, then she would put down black (Haitian) and white (Irish). As for the Cherokee thing, I agree with aglages that if her dad is registered then she can put down Native American.</p>

<p>if I were you, I would put down the whole native american thing. That would give you a better chance of admission than putting down black.
Play the system, before the system plays you.</p>

<p>^^^
The whole “native American thing” only works if you (or your parent(s)) are registered members of an American Indian Tribe. Unlike being black a college may actually require you to prove you’re a Native American.

Bad attitude and poor advice.</p>

<p>I’m simply saying that he (or she) should put down whichever one will help them the most, if both are true.
If I was 50% Chinese and 50% Latina, I would 100% be putting down that i’m Spanish. It would help me more.</p>

<p>I like Haitian- Irish ! Sounds unique . Unique is good .</p>

<p>^There’s actually quite a bit more out there than you might expect.</p>

<p>OP, what culture do you experientially identify with? If it is not Haitian culture, then why put down black? Put “other” if you’re unsure; if that option is not available, then go with the one that ostensibly makes the most sense.</p>