Blinn Team picks

My daughter was not accepted into A&M, even though she is at the top 10.8% of her class. She was offered to participate in the PSA program but not Blinn Team. How do they decide who gets to participate in Blinn Team?

@getanswers: I see that no on has answered your question yet. I’ll give my 2 cents. And could you list your daughters stats and major?

There is no one answer to your question of how some applicants are offered Blinn-TEAM and others are offered PSA. Admission offers of Full, Gateway, Blinn-TEAM, the various Engineering offers of TAMUG, Blinn-TEAB, and PSA are offered based on the full application. Class rank and test scores are 50% and the rest of the application (Letters of Recommendation, Extra Curricular activities, and things like extenuating circumstances, etc) is the other 50%. No one but the admissions office gets to see the rest of the file, so it is hard to compare rank and test scores on a forum like CC and figure out exactly who gets which offer and why.

PSA isn’t the end of an Aggie dream. Lots of people start out somewhere else and finish up with a TAMU degree and the Aggie gold ring, and the power of the Aggie network behind them when they get out into the “real world”. If your daughter fulfills the PSA requirements, (and I hope that she has laser focus and that she ROCKS her gpa), she will be in CStat soon and by graduation time, she will hardly remember the time before Aggieland.

I wouldn’t even consider PSA a “Plan B”, more like a “Plan A minus minus” as it will get her to CStat with only a minor detour. I have heard of PSA students meeting up and keeping each other focused on the end goal of getting to CStat asap. Perhaps planning at least one trip a semester to CStat for a game or other activity is something that can be done to help them keep their focus on the end prize.

It does seem to be getting harder and harder to get into TAMU. Every year, the number of applications rise as does the caliber of students applying. This year there seemed to be a huge number of students with above average test scores and 25% class rank or higher who received PSA. I can only think that the volume of students with those qualifications was a lot higher this year than in past years. I can’t imagine what the process will be like next year.

I know that your daughter being part of a huge group of very well qualified applicants but the number of Full Admit and Blinn-TEAM seats are limited is no consolation at this point. If your daughter and your family can keep a positive outlook and view PSA as a temporary detour and focus on her arriving in CStat shortly, I’ll bet she will hardly remember the PSA days when she walks across the TAMU stage to receive her diploma.

Sorry that I couldn’t give more concrete info. Hang in there!

Also in the Apply Texas application the student had to select a check box in the A&M section that the student would like to be considered for Blinn TEAM

@TXRooster Per the Admissions Officer on TexAgs, that question is for survey purposes and any applicant can be considered for Blinn Team no matter which box they check. It does make it misleading though. This question comes up every year.