Block Plan and Double Majors?

<p>My son has several academic interests, and I could see him doing a double major wherever he ends up. Possibly English/Biology (!?!). I'd love to hear from CC students and parents about experiences with double majors under the block plan, particulary odd combos like science/humanities (i.e., 3 1/2 weeks orgo chem, followed by 3 1/2 weeks of Moby Dick!). Thanks!</p>

<p>S is a junior double major (mathematical economics/dance). He says it is never dull. Also, with an active “group” major like dance, he has the opportunity to have the major be a true means of making friends and providing out of class experiences.</p>

<p>My S is a first year student planning a career in architecture or a related area. Forgive me please if this is an overly long post. I get carried away.</p>

<p>His first course at CC was a two-block (7 week) number theory course, which turned out to be a good foundation course for architecture because it explored the relationship between numeric patterns and perceptions of symmetry and proportion. He then took a studio art course on “Green Design” (with lots of hands-on model making in the campus wood shop as well as small team presentations). He’s now finishing a two-block History of Architecture course (which he has found very demanding and very well taught). He also enrolled in a January short block introduction to regional architecture in Colorado towns. This involved a trip up to Aspen, followed by a project to design a Walmart store following regional vernacular themes (as a spoof on the assignment, one kid came up with a kitschy TajMahalMart with SE Asian motifs.)</p>

<p>He and two friends are applying for a Venture Grant to support one block at a design/build institute in New England that specializes in sustainable practices. He’s been taking Italian lessons in addition to his regular block courses in preparation for a semester in Italy. At some point, he’ll need to work in more math courses and physics courses required for graduate programs in architecture. He’s not sure yet whether his home department will be Art or Environmental Science, but in either case, he’ll probably be cooking up his own major program. I hope he’ll find time for Moby Dick, but maybe not. The school is giving him free reign to explore his interests.</p>

<p>He says this is very much a work hard, play hard environment. There seem to be a lot of team projects where kids work with partners or in small groups for hours on end in classrooms or shops reserved 24/7 for the entire block. Then they go off to the mountains to blow off steam on 4-day block breaks. Time management is very important at this school.</p>