block plan - experiences, pluses minuses?

<p>can students experienced in cc's block plan tell about pluses and minuses?</p>

<p>idic5 -- see my comment on the biology thread</p>

<p>I saw that you said that for the sciences it is problematic. What about the humanities? My d is interested in English , and Psych--is psychology a science?</p>

<p>My S is a freshman and has taken several block courses that fit within the heading of "humanities" and has taken a block related to sociology. He has enjoyed them and reports that the block system is not a problem so long as you keep up and have good time management skills.</p>

<p>Realize that almost without exception, each block course is from 9-noon, M-F. With only one course at a time, that means you have all afternoon and evening in which to fit your preparation for the next day (and of course you have the weekend to get ahead).</p>

<p>My S has found time to be very active in an EC that requires practices and performances and during one block took an adjunct course (a 1/4 block credit) in addition to the full credit course.</p>

<p>The pluses are many. Only one final at a time. The 4-1/2 day block break every 3-1/2 weeks. The fact that each major holiday/extended break (Thanksgiving, Winter break and Spring break) comes at the end of a course block. That means the student does not have to face exams after Thanksgiving, or Winter or Spring break. If you went to college, you may have had exams after a holiday and remember what a real drag that was.</p>

<p>Also, if one block course is really difficult for the student, there aren't other courses going on at the same time that may suffer from the shock of that "bad" course.</p>

<p>I would like to repeat what katliamom said... look at my post on the biology board :)</p>

<p>I just got back from the student orientation, and I was very impressed. The block plan seemed like a GREAT system. It really allows one to become immersed in the subject--it is very good for someone who is seriously interested in their academics. </p>

<p>One legitimate minus that I heard someone point out to me was that sometimes it's harder to maintain long-term friendships. You develop such a bond with the people who are in a class with you, but then after 3 and a half weeks you change classes and people in your class, and sometimes you lose a lot of contact with the people who just the week before, you were studying nonstop with. That being said, the residential communities in the dorms foster great friendships, as well as the campus feel in general (all of the students I met were incredibly friendly), and once you settle in a major you have some people in multiple classes a year and so its easier to maintain the friendship.</p>

<p>Students LOVE their humanities experience at Colorado College.</p>

<p>I brought up the block plan to a hs gc, and she asked me if my d ever gets sick, or does she have a tendency to 'get sick'. If so, she told me that a block plan would be extra challenging since missing a day is almost like a missing a week - or some such exchange. What say the block plan fans to this issue?</p>

<p>Seems that the study of foreign languages would be very difficult under the block plan.</p>

<p>Before college started, my S and I discussed communal living (dorms) and the need to take some steps to avoid colds from passing around. Eating right, sleep, excercise and multivitamins have resulted in only one "sick" day when he didn't go to class this freshman year at CC. Also, he said that many people at CC are very active in outdoors interests. He said that most people seemed to be fit and didn't get sick a lot.</p>

<p>He also said that since there is only one class on a day, it is in the same room (non-lab subjects) and the campus is not really large and spread out, CC students spend less time out in the elements than those going to a morning class, then to a mid-day class and then to an afternoon class. </p>

<p>Another observation was the sleep issue. Since everyone is on the same schedule (9:00 am class) he said that there seems to be less problems with early, early risers waking people up. He said he actually got a decent amount of sleep.</p>

<p>He also mentioned that missing a day at CC is missing 3 in-class hours just like it would be at a semester college (5 courses, 15 hours in class on a weekly average = 3 in-class hours a day) except you aren't behind in 2 or 3 different subjects.</p>

<p>Regarding foreign language:</p>

<p>I talked to a (I think junior) Spanish major about foreign language classes. She said that foreign languages on the block plan are definitely rigorous, as most classes tend to be, but doable. She said it really helps with learning the language because it's like an "immersion" experience where your entire mind is focused on the foreign language for 3 1/2 weeks. </p>

<p>Also, to maintain your language ability after a block ends, there are several options. First, you can always take an adjunct class, which meets just once a week and has minimal homework, and you get 1/4 credit for each semester. Also you can join (or even just visit and talk to people in) a language-themed house. Atleast I think those houses were at CC... the colleges tend to blur a lot...</p>

<p>But the point of this post: Foreign Language on the Block Plan is rigorous, but possible.</p>

<p>(Actually the person I talked to about foreign language on the block plan is the same person mentioned in the post above about friendships :))</p>

<p>My son has not been missed any days due to being sick, but has been sick on holiday and on a block break. Seems like the focus and the intensity of the block, keeps him from getting sick, and then his body's defenses drop when the block is over.</p>

<p>Of course not only students could get sick. Professors can as well. Yesterday, for the first time, my son has a professor out sick for the day. Since the students had no other class commitments for the day, a bunch of them took off for a days skiing at Keystone. </p>

<p>If a student misses enough days to make the block impossible, they can get back on track in the summer when three blocks are offered. However, you only get 1 "free" summer block over 4 years. Any more is additional cost.</p>

<p>Twirlonwater -- here is one thread that has comments</p>

<p>bump for new consideration</p>

<p>thank for this imformativ thread</p>