Block Schedules!!!

<p>Hi guys :)
I'm an international student highly interested in applying to Colorado College for ED</p>

<p>How are the block schedules? Any comments will be appreciated!</p>

<p>Immersion is what it is all about. One class for 3.5 weeks so blocks are fast paced and intense. Some classes are more time intensive than others so for sure there is a difference between taking organic chemistry (with lab) vs. art history. But flexibility is key to the block plan- classes take lots of field trips (nice to learn geology in the field). You can take an entire semester abroad or go for just one block. CC has been on the block plan for decades and I think they have successfully made the block plan an appealing alternative to the traditional trimester/semester system. </p>

<p>The up side of the Block Plan is just like what Ir4550 described. But it’s very important to also take the down side into consideration. For example, on a semester plan missing a couple of lectures or missing a whole week is still manageable since you will have several months to recover and catch up. on the Block Plan missing one week or simply three days more often than not means that you have to drop the class. I don’t think this happens because students lacks the motivation to catch up, rather, it’s simply because the time frame is so short that it is simply impossible to catch up.</p>

<p>I learned form faculty member at Colorado College that the Block Plan tends to cause far more anxiety and stress than the traditional semester plan. According to Fiske’s guide “overburning”, for example having 3 hours of lecture about calculus a day and have 5 plus hours homework on it as well, is also a very serious issue to consider. I am a first year student at CC. You are very welcome to ask me more questions. Wish you the best of luck in your college application.</p>

<p>:) </p>

<p>Thank you two for such detailed replies :slight_smile:
One of my primary concerns of emerging myself into this whole new system, block schedules, was the sheer fact that I would be forgetting the materials I have learned for 3.5 weeks intensively, when it comes to the following year. Since the materials taught are not dispersed over a course of a year, I am afraid that the classes I take in the first few months will become hazy by the time I become a sophomore, and so on. Missing out on a couple of lectures and having to drop the classes because of the heavy work load one misses out seems a bit intimidating too.</p>

<p>Now, that being said, I absolutely love all the upsides of the block schedule. I’m a type of person who learns best when I concentrate on one topic at a time, immersing myself deeply into the subjects for as long as possible, so block schedule seems quite exciting. However, I don’t really know if this is a wise choice in a long term, since I doubt that the materials I learned so intensively in the beginning of my college year will not be in the best state of memory by the end of the year…</p>

<p>I don’t know, I guess we all have different learning styles and perhaps the block plan is not for everyone. But as far as retention goes I did not find accessing “previously assimilated” knowledge a problem from year to year. I was a history major who took all the pre requisites for veterinary school and didn’t have a problem bouncing back and forth between the sciences and history. I took the GRE and an end of senior year history exam (for history majors) that covered every history class I had taken at CC. Honestly I don’t think retention of course content is a problem on the block plan- if anything I feel that the focus on a single subject helps you retain the information because your brain doesn’t have to allocate bandwith to other subjects that you might concurrently be taking on the semester plan. </p>

<p>@hoolala, just out of curiosity what are your academic areas of interest?</p>

<p>@lr4550‌ Chemistry and Education. In what ways was the block plan difficult for you? May I ask what your current major is? :)</p>

<p>Haha- I have been out for many years! I am now a veterinarian though at CC I was a history major and took all the prerequisites for veterinary school (I pursued my degree in veterinary medicine after CC of course). Most difficult classes for me were either the second block of organic chemistry or biochemistry. Those are just intense under the block plan period. Two of my best friends (and house mates) were a physics major and a chem major. Sciences can work well under the block plan, you just have to pace yourself and give yourself a break after the particularly intense blocks.</p>

<p>My D is applying this year and is very interested in bio/environmental sciences and education. I’d be thrilled if she were able to pursue the sciences at CC!! </p>

<p>@‌lr4550 Hi I was reading this thread and I’m really interested into attending school at CC and I want to become a vet as well. I was wondering what your path was at CC and after CC to become a veterinarian? Also, for the science classes, is it really hard to manage all the content in 3.5 weeks? Because that’s my main concern about the block plan.</p>

<p>Hi @jsong232, I’m happy to chime in about my pre-vet experience at CC! It was very easy to be a history major and fit in the required prerequisites which were pretty standard for any med school admissions program (at least back then): a few bio classes, 2 blocks general chem, 2 blocks organic chem, biochem, 2 blocks general physics, calc, stats, possibly some others I am forgetting. There was plenty of time over the course of 4 years to fit it all in even though I wasn’t a science major (especially if/when AP credits fulfill certain prereqs). Maybe pre-vet classes took up around 12 or so blocks? </p>

<p>The reason I wasn’t a science major was simply that I figured I would be in sciences for the rest of my life so why not focus on something different while at CC. The history department was (is now!) full of fantastic professors and really interesting classes so I wound up declaring history for my major. I think vet schools like students to bring something beyond the sciences to the profession because most vets in private practice are dealing with humans as much as animals (since the animals usually come with humans and the clinic is staffed with humans). It is nice to have that deeper liberal arts experience that hones critical thinking skills while being exposed to so many different perspectives on a variety of topics. Also, I regret not taking any business classes. Take some business classes!</p>

<p>Other things I did while at CC outside the classroom involved mostly sports and a few clubs. I played 2 club sports that went all year long (between the two of them) and we had full schedules of games throughout Colorado. It was really fun! Over the summers I worked in a vet clinic and exercised/trained horses for a local equestrian program. It’s always a good idea to get some experience in the type of practice you are interested in since it gives you an idea of what happens from day to day. </p>

<p>I don’t know if vet school admissions have changed much in the last 20 or so years but I can imagine grades still matter the most. It was important to keep up a high GPA (3.7 or higher, not sure current expectations). I took one year off after CC to work and take a break from school. I started vet school at Colorado State the following year.</p>

<p>Sciences on the block plan really are manageable and in many ways preferable to more traditional academic calenders. Yes the pace is fast but remember- you don’t have other academic commitments and you can go on field trips! So you do have to keep up but it is very doable as long as you keep focused and on track. 2nd block O chem and Biochem were hardest for me. Overall my advice wherever you wind up is to embrace your undergrad experience, make the most of your classes, get involved, get to know your professors, surround yourself with interesting people, and have some fun.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM if you have any other questions. Sorry for such a long post. Good luck with your applications!</p>