Block Seating

<p>I just read the article in the CW about new block seating. I see that the Law School and MBA have block seating and wondered if the Honors College had a block.</p>

<p>[University</a> expands block seating | The Crimson White](<a href=“http://cw.ua.edu/2011/09/15/university-expands-block-seating/]University”>http://cw.ua.edu/2011/09/15/university-expands-block-seating/)</p>

<p>Yes…the Honors College has a block</p>

<p>the honors college already had a block, but this seems to be a better location than it was for the last game.</p>

<p>I’m actually highly annoyed by this. Taking away general admission seating to make everyone that wanted block seating happy is not the way to solve this fundamentally flawed (and somewhat illegal) process. They need to change the way block seating is done completely, rather than doing it behind closed doors with a heavy Machine influence. Gah, this really angers independents like me, and I’m sure some Greeks don’t like it as well. This will only contribute to the divide on campus, especially since they are using the HCA as a buffer between Greek and independent seating areas.</p>

<p>Mesquite, what’s really telling is that UA is/was going to issue non-academic misconduct citations to those sitting in another group’s block seating even though the SGA has no legal authority to designate block seating in the first place.</p>

<p>I know this is heresy as a former greek. But I really wish they’d just get rid of block seating altogether.</p>

<p>It would help unite the student body and I think it would really help improve the atmosphere in Bryant Denny especially during the lesser games. </p>

<p>They’d need to put security guards in there to prevent pledges from saving seats for actives but after a few games things would run smoothly.</p>

<p>I also think they need to stop the issuance of student guest tickets. The student section should be for students only. Very seldom is it used for guests of students anyway. Mostly it’s students looking to cash in and make a few bucks. That’s why you see opposing fans in the student section all the time at big games. I didn’t see one speck of Crimson in the Penn St student section last week.</p>

<p>i kind of agree with njbama. why should any one group get block (and preferred) seating while others do not? and from what i understand the greeks are pretty rude about actually getting to the game on time and staying for the whole game. my daughter sent me a picture of the greek section from last game at half-time and it was almost empty.</p>

<p>not sure i agree with doing away with student guest tickets. i think many of these are actually used to bring a friend of a student to the game.</p>

<p>I don’t have a problem with block seating as long as… all groups that have a decent size membership can have one. </p>

<p>It’s only natural that kids like to sit with their friends at games. If you do away with block seating, you’re just going to have what happens at every graduation…people arriving early, setting down “stuff” (blankets, jackets, what-have-you), in order to “save spaces” for those who are still arriving. </p>

<p>When I go to high school football games, a few parents arrive early, lay out all kinds of stuff, so that their friends/boosters/whatever can all sit together.</p>

<p>I don’t think the answer is to get rid of block seating…maybe tweak the rules a bit.</p>

<p>FWIW, for the 1st game my D had every intention of sitting in the HC section, but upon arriving saw that she could get better seats in GA section, so they all moved. :-)</p>