Blue Jeans?

Hi everyone, just wondering since I like my blue jeans and I’ve heard people say blue jeans are restricted from some boarding schools- why is this dress code in place?

It really depends on the school, but some prefer business or business casual attire and restrict the use of blue jeans in the classroom. You are free to wear it on your free time.

2 Likes

Schools with dress codes only expect you to wear “acceptable” dress during school hours. The teachers at S23 school joked that you could tell time by what the kids were wearing.

2 Likes

Oh, that makes sense! I was just confused because they seem to allow white or black jeans just not blue and thought there might be something else to that.

What sort of clothing works out for schools with dress codes like that?

It really depends on the school. Some require jacket and tie, others a collard shirt. Sweaters but no sweatshirts, that kind of stuff. You really have to look into each school’s policy. For the majority of schools I would say the dress code these days is “look clean” - no PJs, sweats (though generally things with school branding are allowed), ripped or too short. Our school used to restrict big logos/graphics, put a pocket T was ok.

As far is the blue jeans thing is, “denim” is allowed - it’s kind of like wearing chinos/khakis. My kids generally opted for colored jeans as opposed to anything more formal.

Classroom dress codes at schools depends on the school. What’s acceptable to one school may not be acceptable at another. Some allow no denim. Others don’t allow blue denim. Others allow denim. To answer the question of “why?”: their school, their rules.

Asking anything akin to “What shall I wear/buy/pack?” is pointless before M10.

Yep, that makes sense. Just wondering since interviews are coming up and there was a lot of advice on cc to show up in clothing slightly more formal than the school’s dress codes and I found that rule for some schools I’m interviewing at. It’s interesting how different variations of material are allowed and prohibited at the same time!

Interviews are a different story. Even if the dress code allows denim, don’t interview in denim.

4 Likes

Oh. Okay, I guess I have to go and buy some clothes then. Thank you!

1 Like

If you want to wear blue jeans, then look for schools that don’t restrict blue jeans. This will still leave you with plenty of options.

My kid only applied to schools that seemed to have pretty much no dress code other than avoiding indecent exposure. I’m not even sure if kid’s BS requires shoes except where necessary for safety reasons.

There’s even wiggle room there, depending on where you’re applying. I believe the general rule it to dress at least a degree more formal than the average student (unless the average student ignores the dress code).

If a school claims to be “come as you are”, and money is tight, don’t go out and buy a new clothes just to interview.

I agree with this - don’t wear denim to an interview, regardless of the dress code.

1 Like

It’s okay, I was really just curious about this topic and thought people on cc would know, I don’t think I’d be willing to reconsider top choice schools like Loomis on my list just because of their dress code.
My parents are okay with me buying stuff for the interview. Would slacks work? Are blouses common to wear at interviews? I’d prefer not to wear a skirt or a dress because it will be cold by the time I’m interviewing at schools.

You can wear a nice pair of slacks with a sweater or blouse. Think tasteful with proper fit and styling that isn’t too revealing.

You don’t have to wear a dress.

2 Likes

Slacks are fine. A skirt or dress is not required.

2 Likes

Slacks should be fine. Solid neutral color.

If the cold is an issue for you, remember to use layers. (Blouse or shirt) + (cardigan or blazer) + winter coat. It’s important to be comfortable - neither sweating nor shivering.

For an on campus interview that includes a tour, wear practical shoes that you can comfortably walk in (and keep your feet warm). It’s tough to look comfortable when you are in pain from blisters.

That said, I think my kid wore a sweatshirt and leggings to an interview.

But not sneakers. In my opinion.

My daughter’s day school’s dress code was “pants without rivets” and a collared shirt. Basically that translated to khakis. We had good luck at Old Navy but wait and see where you enroll and the specific dress code.