Bluffs - what am I missing here?

<p>This can’t be right, looking at the Bluffs site, rental per person on a 3 bed/bath is “starting from $1,845/month ($615/person)” so if I figure correctly for 12 months that is $7,380.</p>

<p>Through the university it is listed as
The Bluffs (3 bedroom unit)…………………………………. $4,575.00
Summer………………………………………………. $2,450.00
Total contract amount…………………………………$11,600.00</p>

<p>so it’s $4,220 a year more to stay there through the university?</p>

<p>What am I missing here? Thanks all - RTR!</p>

<p>That may be true, but not actually happening.</p>

<p>I doubt many/any people choose The Bluff (thru the univ) without the housing scholarship. Those who don’t have the housing scholarship, probably just book thru the complex.</p>

<p>When my son was there, the students that we knew there were all NMFs, NAs, and athletes…all with scholarships.</p>

<p>Also, when you book thru the univ, there are no utility bills…Don’t know what directly paying the complex includes…altho I doubt these apts use $4k in utilities. </p>

<p>I guess those who book thru the univ are also “paying” for the RAs that are at the complex.</p>

<p>That said, I wouldn’t pay 615 a month for The Bluff when The Retreat can be had for less and is much, much, much nicer. </p>

<p>However, look at the 4 bedroom units at The Bluff…cheaper, newer, and near the new clubhouse, fitness center, and pool.</p>

<p>I’m not sure but this may be a situation where some of the roommates are on housing scholarship, otherwise I agree, why the bluffs?
If so will have to see if there are any cases of mixing the two (scholarship and non). Interesting…
I definitely like what I see of the Retreat online.
Thanks for the help - RTR!</p>

<p>Hmm, I was suggesting S go through the University for the Bluffs instead of privately since it would be easier to manage (payments all going to the same place, no security deposit etc) but not if it’s $4K+ more. I know non schol can live with nmfs.</p>

<p>He is not interested in the Retreat for some reason. He is still looking around. I assume he’ll make a decision St the beginning of spring semester.</p>

<p>I know non schol can live with nmfs.</p>

<p>I’m sure they can if going through UA, but I have a question in to the Bluff email asking if non-schol. kids can pay standard (non-UA) Bluff rates in the same unit where housing schol. kids are paying UA rates. I have a feeling this will be a no, but can’t hurt to ask. I have no idea if DSs potential roomies are on schol. or not but there is so much about this that students miss I think.
I don’t know the lay of the land but I think The Bluff is closer in to campus - correct?
Will let you know what I hear.</p>

<p>If you’re looking for off-campus housing, take a look at The Woodlands too. That ended up being my D’s favorite off-campus choice. I haven’t seen it in person, but my husband did and thought it was very nice.</p>

<p>If you’re asking if an apt unit can have a Bama-processed student (schol or non schol) and a Complex-processed student…I don’t know. My gut tells me no…my gut tells me that Bama has negotiated entire apts…but I could be wrong. lol</p>

<p>I wonder in the complex processed students pay any utilities? If so, how much. And, if so, then that even more sounds like they wouldn’t mix Bama and non-Bama contracts within the same unit.</p>

<p>Since Bama does provide a RA for the Bluff (don’t know how many RAs) and has the typical obligations that any univ has…such as immediately finding a student new housing if their room/unit becomes unliveable for some odd reason, it has more “risk” and expenses than the complex does…plus the Univ is a “deep pocket” so lawsuit aware.</p>

<p>^ that’s what I’m thinking. Hoping when DS and I discuss this his other potential roommates are not on housing scholarship.</p>

<p>Just to confirm what we already guessed, there is no combination of UA and non-UA housing within individual apartments at the Bluff. Also found this interesting re: how many units available this coming year.</p>

<p>*Thank you for your interest in The Bluff. Our arrangement with UA Housing is that they rent a certain amount of apartments from us each month. They are in the process of phasing out of this and next year will be the last year they are with us and will only have 24 units here.
*</p>

<p>Bummer! D was looking forward to this option in another year.</p>

<p>What AL34 posted coincides with my original source that said “The Bluffs” would not be available next year. UA housing (on phone) did confirm that this housing option would be available, but the latest housing emails seem to indicate that it would be limited housing and probably only available for re-contracts.</p>

<p>*They are in the process of phasing out of this and next year will be the last year they are with us and will only have 24 units here.
*</p>

<p>So, that’s for about 60 kids in a mix of 2 and 3 bedroom units. </p>

<p>Anyway…I still wouldn’t totally count The Bluff out. Bama seems to always need more housing than it has. </p>

<p>I’m sure they didn’t forecast having 182 and 30 NMFs/NAs as frosh this Fall. That is an increase of about 85 kids.</p>