Boom in new off-campus housing

<p>Guess the days of living in an 100 year-old poorly insulated three flat are fading. I liked those old places with names/years written in the closets.</p>

<p>Student</a> housing projects in the works</p>

<p>Hopefully at least some will be reasonably priced modest places instead of the higher priced luxury units most recently completed.</p>

<p>It’s nice the apartments will be closer, though. There are lots of houses/apartments that are ridiculously far from class. Plus many of the old houses are not well kept up (certainly many are, but they don’t call certain areas “sophomore slums” for nothing, lol).</p>

<p>Nice apartments are also extremely, extremely popular, they sell out in October. I don’t think they will have trouble filling them. And expensive is relative - I live in probably the third most expensive large apartment complex on campus and it costs me about the same as a dorm when you add it all up. I mean, I know the dorms are overpriced, but expensive apartments will definitely be in high demand, especially with freshmen who are fine to pay the same price as a dorm and are all nervous that they won’t find a place to live and want to sign in October (that was me, lol).</p>

<p>The dorms are not overpriced, despite what you may think. They do not make a profit but price things to be self sustaining. It’s too bad some students sign up too early, before they really get to know prospective roommates. There are still plenty of good options after winter break. It’s also nice to see so many newer buildings over the years replacing old converted houses. Dynamic, not static, campus and area.</p>