Boston University Guarantee Transfer Class of 2024

Hi! I was recently accepted in Boston University as a guarantee transfer student. Anyone know if it’s worth it or what to make of it? Thanks.

I’m in the same position and I think it’s a great option for the following:

1. Freshman year is just general core classes you need to fill out so you won’t miss out on whatever major you want to get in to
  • A lot of people decide to community college for 2 years and then transfer, but this program saves you a year and is a guarantee
  1. You can choose to save money by going to some more local college or go to your other top choice and see if you fit in there. Who knows if your next top choice is actually the perfect place for you to stay? For me, the 1 year high investment is more worth it than attending my state university
  2. It gives you leverage if you do well academically. You can get more financial aid from the transfer school (BU) and/or use it against your current university

Transfers are common. Guaranteed transfer to a top university with one year to obtain merit scholarship, feel out college life, having already finished bland classes? The backup plan I never knew I could value in initially.

me too! it’s an option that i didn’t even think about having. if we accept, do we for sure have to go thru with it? what if we decide otherwise but had accepted the offer?

@stressedsenior101 You are in no way obligated to transfer in as a sophomore if you accept the offer.

nevermind, i found out it is non-binding. will probably accept

Especially with the instability of the coronavirus, it’s really a decent option. I’m going to encourage my son to accept and go to our state school for freshman year. If he loves Rutgers, then no harm. If he doesn’t love it, then he has a great option.

Hi I got accepted as a guaranteed transfer too as a political science/history major. However, I’ve been torn between that and business. And I’m thinking about switching in Questrom. Do you think this would be possible and still be considered for guaranteed admission?

1 Like

@needtoknowgirl “Admission to any other program will only be considered on a case-by-case basis after we have confirmed your offer of admissions for fall 2021. Please contact BU Admissions if you wish to change your program of admission.”

BU recognizes that some students want to change their major when entering, especially once they experience freshman year and grasp a better idea of what they want to do. All BU needs to see is that you have a GPA that is up to par with students also wanting to do the same major e.x. just having the minimum 3.0 GPA to transfer won’t give you much leeway.

So I decided to accept the offer just incase I decide I want to transfer at some point so I already have a school under my belt (if I meet the conditions that is). There was nothing else you had to do besides hit accept right?

I will accept the offer in the next week or so but I want to make sure I hear back from all my other applications first. Now I have to decide if I want to go to my #2 and pay a boatload of money for one year or go to a local pretty well-regarded state school.

Will probably do this too! Rutgers for freshman year

I got into the guaranteed transfer program too! I’m thinking of going to Rutgers for my first year before transferring.

I’m still waiting to hear from Northeastern and NYU which are also at the top of my list, so we’ll see what they say. As of right now, it’s between American, Emerson, and Temple for me. I’m still gonna give whatever school I go to a shot and if I’m unhappy I will definitely transfer next year.

If you accept the Guaranteed Sophomore Transfer it is important that whatever college you attend freshman year you give it a fair shot. If you go to that college with the definite intention of transferring, especially if you tell your new friends there, you will not enjoy your freshman year (and you may end up lonely)…

@TomSrOfBoston Please read my post above.

Our son was happy to receive this offer. He has been declined from most of his match and reach schools. We’re all completely befuddled so we were actually happy to receive this offer for him. He accepted the offer. He’s going to go to Univ Central Florida and always planned to transfer but was bummed that he would have to spend two years there. This is a wonderful option. All he has to do is keep up his GPA and do well. He still has several schools to hear from but we’re pretty sure how that’s going to go (eye roll). I agree with people who said first year is a lot of gen eds and you don’t really get into your major until sophomore year anyway. So it seems like a win-win. We also get to save some money his first year because we’re going to need it. That full Boston intuition is crazy.

Son guaranteed admission to CAS fall 2021. Great Essays, lots of EC’s Weighted GPA 4.25 AP’s 2 subject tests (over 700) over 200 hours medical shadow.
Low SAT scores 1260
Initially was disappointed but after examining it unemotionally.
So the drawback is putting off full college experience for a year.
Attend state university 2 semesters take the core classes save Over $50,000 transfer in 2021 as a sophomore
Ultimately his decision, but I am encouraging him to look long term 10 year plan and decide wisely
The more I think about it the better it is sounding.
Top choice so far

@Dan1983 He would actually only need to spend 1 year since the transfer is for sophomore year.

1 Like

Anyone else apply to the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies and get accepted to the College of Arts and Sciences for fall 2021? I know that the Global Studies School is within the College of Arts and Sciences, but if I was accepted to the Global Studies school specifically would they have said so in the letter? Let me know if you’re in the same boat/know what this means!! Thanks

If we accept this offer, will we be receiving anything in the mail? I also called asking for appeal and they told me all decisions were final. Disappointing but still happy with this offer nonetheless. Thanks!