Bourbon Street Assault

<p>how many instances of bad fan behavior arent caught on video? football games get rowdy at all campuses agreed… but dont think we need to say,well it just happened once, we have no idea what happens imo.</p>

<p>"Tiger stadium has quite the reputation on how badly they treat opposing fans, and I personally have witnessed some crazy things there, … "</p>

<p>As a 21-year season ticket holder in Tiger Stadium (who will shortly be sending his oldest child to Alabama), I am compelled to ask what this has to do with anything. I am in disbelief that your only concern about this dispicable act is how LSU fans will act next year. Keep your cheap shots to yourself. I hope this piece of human excrement goes to jail.</p>

<p>how many instances of bad fan behavior arent caught on video? football games get rowdy at all campuses agreed.</p>

<p>The point is that this isn’t indicative of what Bama fans do…at all. I have attended enough Bama games to know that. </p>

<p>Fans of many types of sports can get rowdy and inappropriate after a game…pro and college…football, basketball, baseball, hockey, whatever…all bad behavior is inexcusable. However, it has nothing to do with the school, team, or other group. Bama and other teams spend thousands and thousands hiring security to help keep things in line…so they do what they can. this wasn’t a home game for Bama. Perhaps NOLA is guilty of not having enough security presence to discourage bad behavior.</p>

<p>Heck, some teams’ fans will literally destroy a street (buildings, cars, whatever) after a game. </p>

<p>No one can name a school, team, or whatever that hasn’t had a fan, student, or graduate behave in a horrid manner, commit an assault, murder or whatever.</p>

<p>m2ck, </p>

<p>New Orleans has a police force of about 1300 officers. At least a thousand of them were in the downtown/French Quarter area on January 9. There were an estimated 200,000 people on the streets that day. The police cannot be in every place, or every business establishment, at all times. There is no police force as experenced at crowd control as the NOPD. Other than the random fight after the game, the day went smoothly and a good time was had by all.</p>

<p>The guy who did this act is vermin. I don’t care what color he wears. If he had been an LSU fan, I would be saying the same thing. I can’t get over those girls laughing at it. I pray my daughter never associates with those types of peope.</p>

<p>i wouldnt blame nola pd… the guy who did it is to be blamed. nola pd is guilty of nothing</p>

<p>Of course the guy is responsible. </p>

<p>That said, we all know that visible police presence is always a helpful deterrent…which is why schools/cities spend money on such. If it made no difference, they’d keep the money. </p>

<p>If NOLA did have a lot of police presence, then it did all it could. As said above…they can’t be everywhere.</p>

<p>This happened inside a Krystal burger place near the intersection of Bourbon and Canal. So not like it happened in a bar or strip joint. </p>

<p>I’ve seen many NOPD officers on horseback and on foot all along Bourbon Street for big events…but who would think they would need to be at a fast-food burger place???</p>

<p>Slippy 2000 wrote “I can’t get over those girls laughing at it. I pray my daughter never associates with those types of people.”</p>

<p>I agree with you Slippy. I can’t imagine why those girls stood around and found that kind of behavior entertaining. It made me wonder what they would have done if the poor drunk slob had been female. </p>

<p>When I told my DS about it yesterday he was so disgusted. He had no desire to see the video. I asked him what he would have done in a situation like that and he said he would have left. He also said that although the LSU fan did not deserve what happened to him he should have known that drinking to the point of passing out in public can’t lead to anything good. </p>

<p>This entire situation is a great teachable moment for parents and their kids.</p>

<p>You come across a person lying unconscious in the street. It doesn’t matter whether or not s/he is being molested. You pull out your cell phone (or ask one of the hundreds of others milling about to do so, if you don’t have one).</p>

<p>You dial 911. </p>

<p>How hard is that? </p>

<p>It is an unfortunately common dynamic of group behavior that when there are others present, it becomes remarkably easy for many to delegate responsibility (“it’s not my problem; I don’t want to get involved”). Think Kitty Genovese.</p>

<p>If you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.</p>

<p>

Seriously? This kid and his friends are responsible for their bad judgement and bad behavior. Trying to pass the buck to the NOPD is just a bit too much spin for me.</p>

<p>My DS nd DH were at the Falcons-Saints game in NOLA the day after xmas. They were proudly wearing their red jerseys in a sea of gold and black, both before, during and after the game (and were about the only ones doing so- to the degree that they got shown on tv because they were in the serious, SERIOUS minority and stood out like a sore thumb!) Did they get ribbing, taunting and mildly harassed, yes. But no one was exceptionally rude or inapropriate (could have been different if the Falcons had won instead of rolling over and dying, I suspect). That said, these were moreso older attendees who paid for NFL tickets, and my DH and DS were not drinking. They did, however, apparently, stop in that Krystal. </p>

<p>No one is targeting Bama per se- just saying, as slippy said in #24, it doesnt matter what team they support/what jersey they wore. The behavior is unacceptable.</p>

<p>By the way, y’all… looks like Deadspin has identified the guy.</p>

<p>I won’t post the link due to potentially objectionable material, but it’s out there.</p>

<p>I am guessing he is busily changing his phone numbers and email address about now.</p>

<p>I feel badly for his wife/family.</p>

<p>And to clarify, the saints fans were no “saints” when my DH and DS were there. They got booed and given the finger and some drunk guy said “you lost” and then stumbled on, and they were given “to go” cups in a restaurant that gave everyone else glasses, etc. Some guy had his little girl, no more than 3 y.o., come up to them and say “Booo”. His father was so proud :rolleyes: But nothing like the bad behavior here. Not saying bad behavior doesnt happen. It just didn’t happen to them, thank heavens.</p>

<p>Whoa. There is a discussion about this on several sites, with is full name and twitter name (where there is an interesting interchange). Apparently someone looked up his number and called his mother! :eek: She was apparently not aware of the incident.</p>

<p>You wonder how many of those people who were egging the dude on are going to be as supportive when he has difficulties finding a job (he’s already been fired by his employer, likely over this incident) and a place to live because he’s a registered sex offender?</p>

<p>It’s now being reported by several New Orleans news stations and other websites that Brian Downing has spoken with NOPD and is coming to New Orleans to turn himself in.</p>

<p>It’s also being reported that he is related to the Russell County sheriff in Alabama who contacted his father and encouraged him to contact NOPD and turn himself in.</p>

<p>Yes, he has turned himself in [Brian</a> Downing, Alleged Alabama Teabagger, Has Turned Himself In](<a href=“http://deadspin.com/5877636]Brian”>Brian Downing, Alleged Alabama Teabagger, Has Turned Himself In)</p>

<p>NEW ORLEANS (AP) - An Alabama football fan got a dressing-down and two years in prison for obscenity in a viral video with an unconscious LSU fan after last year’s championship game.</p>

<p>State District Judge Karen Herman told Brian Downing of Smiths Station, Ala., that he’s a bully who has permanently damaged someone else’s life.</p>

<p>Downing declined to say anything before the judge sentenced him as part of a plea deal.</p>

<p>He pleaded guilty in October to two counts of obscenity for rubbing his genitals on the LSU fan. Prosecutors dropped a charge of sexual battery, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.</p>

<p>The incident took place last January after Alabama defeated LSU at the Superdome to claim the BCS title.</p>

<p>[Ala</a>. man gets 2 years in jail for viral BCS video - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL](<a href=“http://www.waff.com/story/20217721/ala-man-gets-2-years-in-jail-for-viral-bcs-video]Ala”>http://www.waff.com/story/20217721/ala-man-gets-2-years-in-jail-for-viral-bcs-video)</p>