Bowdoin Class of 2027 Official Thread

Most likely yield protection. I know 5 kids in town who were accepted with slightly lower SATs (1450-1530), all receiving merit or FA.

Did they send those SAT scores in the 1400s, or apply TO?

Bowdoin does not offer any merit aid, only need based aid.

1 Like

Bowdoin does offer a National Merit Scholarship that is not need based.

Son just got notified he got the $2500 award from National Merit. Am I correct in understanding that the NM award and $1000 for the next 3 years will be in addition to FA?

1 Like

My H is a Bowdoin alum, but I donā€™t have a horse in this race. (D20 applied EDI to Hamilton and S23 applied to larger schools with Engineering departments.) But, I thought I would jump in to offer another perspective on kids with high stats getting rejected or waitlisted from Bowdoin.

My niece is a junior at a top-ranked private school in NE. The head college counselor told her mom (my sister) that they always consider Bowdoin ā€œa wild cardā€ with admissions. She said, ā€œBowdoin was doing holistic admissions before holistic admissions was even a thing.ā€ She said every year students with lower stats from their school make it in to Bowdoin while some higher ones are rejected. Why? Because they value personality and fit above all else. She said they are VERY aware of building a community and really try to select students that they think will thrive there and be an asset to the community on and off campus. They look for students that professors would love to teach, other students would want to befriend, and larger community members wouldnā€™t mind interacting with. While applicants need to demonstrate they can succeed academically, they donā€™t have to have one of the top GPAs from their high school to get admitted.

Iā€™m not saying this means rejected or waitlisted Bowdoin applicants donā€™t have any of those qualities. Iā€™m just saying that this head college counselor (from a top-ranked private school) has seen admissions there for over a decade and has always believed that stats and leadership alone just donā€™t make the cut. So perhaps that is why people are seeing students with lower stats being accepted over their peers.

8 Likes

Was responding to comment on skidmore

1 Like

True (although in all fairness their website directly says ā€œBowdoin does not provide merit aidā€ in purple highlighting). Types of Aid | Bowdoin College

2021-22 CDS does show 11 students received the $1,000 first year award, sections H2a-N and O.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the total number of students that were accepted for the class of 2027?
Thank you!

They havenā€™t announced that yet. Most likely the Bowdoin Orient will do an article within a week from getting back from their spring break and usually admission gives them all the stats.

If they admitted a number based on a similar yield assumption as the last few years, it will end up being 8xx students, probably not on the high side of that range. This will likely result in an acceptance rate of 7.x% overall ā€“ they had a record number of applicants this year.

DD accepted. This is her dream school. Strong across the board but assumed she wouldnā€™t get in because of the low acceptance rate. This is our most expensive option (mostly applied to schools with merit aid since I was thinking we likely wouldnā€™t qualify for need based aid and didnā€™t) so lots to think about. Seems like a great school.

1 Like

For those interested, hereā€™s a couple useful references.

Hereā€™s the Bowdoin Orient article that came out after ED that has overall application stats:

And hereā€™s a great resource Bowdoin has on their website on various stats. This link is to admissions and is only up through last year right now but thereā€™s other stats on outcomes, budget, etc. I appreciate their transparency.

https://www.bowdoin.edu/ir/data/admissions.html

Itā€™s just $1000 a year for NMF lol.

2 Likes

Congratulations. Iā€™m sure she will be happy there

1 Like

Admissions released stats. 850 admitted from a total of 10,966 applications.

2 Likes

So a 7.75% admit rate this year.

1 Like

Yes. Overallā€¦but way less for RD. They donā€™t break it out in the story. The other numbers surprised me a bit too. 27% first generation. Wow.

2 Likes

Clear institutional priority, as are students of color (54% of admits, in this context students of color include Asians).

3 Likes

Wowza!

Would you know where/how to access those data?

do you mean the RD acceptance rate? Wonā€™t be able to figure that out until well into next year when they release how many applied ED, accepted ED, applied RD, accepted RD.

2 Likes