Bowdoin vs. Williams (+gap year)

As we reached 100 messages within less than 24hrs I will disconnect from the thread and do some thinking. I truly appreciate all your reassurances and perspectives. They made cogs spin in my head faster. It does seem I have a “luxury” dilemma and any decision at the end of the day will be perfectly fine. Again, thank you!

7 Likes

This conversation is circular and we are now beating a dead horse. No, a coach’s offer for a spot on a team in a year is definitely not as good as gold. I’d say there is a better than 50% chance that things might not work out as you hope if you defer a year.

You’re hung up on alleged prestige and are not hearing us. There is no difference between those two schools in terms of prestige, once you leave college. If the employer or grad school has heard of Williams, they have heard of Bowdoin.

6 Likes

You haven’t answered the question I asked earlier…if Williams, will you apply this year, and if accepted, request/take a gap year? Or will you not apply until next year, with Class of 2024? There is risk in each of those scenarios, and much more in the second one.

1 Like

I thought the “gold” question from tsbna44 refereed to the aspect of getting accepted in the college if you have the support of the coach. Hence, my answer was tailored to that Q. Now, that this thread helped me understand that academics are about the same between the two colleges, I need to think all other parameters in the decision (location, vibe, culture, specific studies, the fact that W team is much better that B team in my sport, etc.). Thank you for your insights, they have been very helpful.

1 Like

The first.

1 Like

Has the coach given you assurances that he won’t recruit for your spot or position? How long has the coach been there? Have other kids taken a gap year so this is a common practice so that they can share the experience?

I have encountered lots of coaches that are entirely honest and direct when asked a direct question but don’t volunteer info. Don’t forget that even in D3 coaches are building reputations, seeking bigger opportunities and judged based on wins.

I don’t know how specific your sport role is but the biggest risk I have seen is that a kid gets recruited for the same slot and one of you will be disappointed.

3 Likes

Thank you for spelling out the risks. It shows you care for me. Truly appreciate it!! All issues you raise are very valid but have been thought out and ironed out. No need to get into the details. This thread had a specific purpose which have been fulfilled now (educate me if there are any real and big academic differences between the two schools which might justify a gap year).

That is great to hear!!! I don’t think you have a “better” choice just a different great set of options. As others have said the schools are academic and prestige peers.

Ultimately your approach of looking at fit, feel, athletic opportunity and how would you use the year seems like a sound strategy. I hope you are enjoying being sought after.

3 Likes

Are you saying you will be applying for admission for fall 2023?

These are both excellent schools.

My concern about a gap year is that your sports playing won’t continue to happen enough during a gap year.

Also, what happens if the coach leaves…which happens!

1 Like

As an objective academic aspect to consider, you may want to stay familiar with Williams’ standardized scoring profile, which places near the top for the nation, especially at the 25th percentile level (1470 SAT, 33 ACT, with 43% and 28% reporting, respectively). Bowdoin also impresses (1330 SAT, 31 ACT, with 55% and 33% reporting) compared to most other colleges, of course.

Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!

I agree with this point 100%. Having been to this rodeo, in this conference, with practically every school in said conference, and many schools outside of it, the “bird in hand” idea is particularly apt for college recruiting. This year and next year are very different animals.

4 Likes

Would the Williams coach support your application without a gap year but with a redshirt year? Then you’d have one year of eligibility to use as a grad student.

This year (and I assume next year) there were a ton of grad students at Ivies, Duke, ND, and competitive publics using their extra year (or two) of eligibility. That helped them get into grad school and pay for it.

5 Likes

The OP seems to be asking mostly about academics and everyone has made it clear that, with the exception of maybe art history and Econ, the schools are peers. Our S19 is a math and physics double major and has had pretty amazing summer internships. Bowdoin is no slouch no matter the major. He has plenty of friends who just graduated with comp sci or Econ degrees and all are very gainfully employed. The OP is interested in Poli Sci (which is the Government major at Bowdoin). it’s one of the top majors at the school. Law schools are more about GPA and LSAT as everyone has noted.

I would be more concerned about fit on the team and at the school in general. Bowdoin kids are bright and not competitive with each other. They work very hard. Bowdoin also prides itself on finding students who care about each other and the world. I know it sounds like some sort of lofty goal but S19 has found that the kids he’s met truly are nice and smart and supportive of each other. We’ve met dozens of other Bowdoin students since he enrolled and are always impressed with that Bowdoin does seem to sniff out this type of student.

Our D21 goes to a different LAC out east that is much more remote and it’s already seeming too secluded in a small town with very few restaurant options and really nothing to do off campus without having a car. She looks at her brother at Bowdoin and is totally jealous of Brunswick and Portland. I have not been to Williams but I know it’s much more secluded than Bowdoin. S19 finds the location amazing, near the ocean but also a short walk to Brunswick and Portland just a half hour train ride away.

Unless you’ve visited Williams and loved it…and loved the coaches and the teammates, I see Bowdoin as a no brainer. You really need to visit both. I bet you’d know in a hot second which one fits better.

11 Likes

deleted

This.

5 Likes

Academics is really what you make of the opportunities offered. If you are unhappy and disengaged, the “number 1” program in any academic field will be meaningless to you.

I get the sense you are trying to get people to recommend Williams because you perceive it to be more prestigious and are trying to justify taking a gap year (and maybe risk the athletic offer coming off the table or are you admitted to Williams but only for the class of 2027?).

In any event your academic experience will be driven by “fit” with the school and with your team. Trying to isolate an “academic” criteria is meaningless between these 2 schools.

6 Likes

If you might want to look at these schools in terms of faculty scholarship in economics, which can serve as a foundational field for students interested in areas such as public policy or finance, this analysis may be of interest: Economics rankings: US Economics Departments at Liberal Arts Colleges | IDEAS/RePEc.

Moving forward in time to the post-collegiate environment, you may want to consider early career salaries, which are available through U.S. News, and by which Williams graduates place second when compared among those from the 10 NESCAC LACs, with Bowdoin grads placing well also, at fourth.

1 Like

If you remain inquisitive on this topic, another analogy based on U.S. News data would be Bowdoin (91) is to Williams (100) as Dartmouth (91) is to Princeton (100).

2 Likes

The vast majority of the messages above state Williams and Bowdoin as peer schools. Do you consider Dartmouth and Princeton peer schools?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes