Bowdoin vs. Williams (+gap year)

That was in fact what I was referring too…

https://research.bowdoin.edu/a-glimmer-on-the-polar-sea/research/the-bowdoin-bear/

I’ve seen it. It’s pretty impressive.

1 Like

These are proper bears but I digress…

2 Likes

On the athletic recruiting piece, my understanding was that the OP would go through admissions this year at either school. So there’d be no risk of relying on future athletic support. They’d be admitted either way and the athletic component would be out of the picture by Dec of this year. It’s just that at one school they’d defer and one they wouldn’t.

The gap year ask probably relates to Covid so probably hasn’t been common in the past. Many of these schools had athletes take gap years and so rosters are overloaded. It would make some sense to me that coaches would be trying to smooth that out if they can. But like you say it’s not something most of us have seen much of in the past so it’s hard to know for sure. I assume the OP knows why.

So I think the primary risk in the whole scenario is that the roster spot disappears for some reason, such as the coach leaving. But that risk is present even without the gap year, as the coach could leave in a year. I don’t know if the risk of a lost roster spot is any greater waiting two years to join the team rather than one.

ETA: agree on your other points, just wanted to clarify the recruiting part

2 Likes

Ok, that makes more sense and makes any notion of a choice rational. And the explanation makes sense too.

But an imposed gap year on its own still seems like a lot to ask for whatever difference in academic prestige there may be between Bowdoin and Williams.

3 Likes

In the context of 18th century American history, the name Amherst may have a much less comfortable association for many.

3 Likes

For that matter, so might every Washington, Monroe, Jefferson, Jay, Madison etc…place /institution name in the country. All those people owned slaves.

Let’s stay on topic please.

1 Like

In case there was confusion because @Lindagaf was too subtle, her post above was not to be construed as optional compliance. Further off-topic posts may be deleted without notice or comment.

2 Likes

@Koza

Are you closer to a decision?

5 Likes

Bowdoin!

20 Likes

Congratulations and good luck on your Polar Bear team!!

2 Likes

Congratulations and thanks for the follow-up.

3 Likes

Congrats!!

2 Likes

Have a blast!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.