Brief Update on The Lofts

<p>My son just moved into The Lofts today without a hitch. He reports that there’s still lots of construction going on at the development (even more than he experienced at a comparable date with East Edge last year), but that the apartments are fantastic and an upgrade over East Edge.</p>

<p>If you’re scheduled to move in soon, it might be wise to confirm with management that your unit is going to be available on schedule.</p>

<p>We just drove past The Lofts construction on McFarland. This project looks massive.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>It is a massive project and what’s seen is just Phase I. Once Phase II is built, it will be like a mini-city.</p>

<p>It’s hard to believe there would ever be a housing shortage once this complex is complete!</p>

<p>As we ride around getting the lay of the land, we are looking at all the apartments going up around the area. This lofts project looks like its going to be incredible. Is the somewhere we can see what the site is to look like when complete.</p>

<p>When the entire development is complete, will there be a campus shuttle service during normal class hours?</p>

<p>We moved my D in today as well. I thought given the circumstances of ongoing construction the staff did a great job. We had help unpacking the car and they even had iced water bottles for us. Her apartment is beautiful and has a ton of space. I walked through the common areas like the clubhouse and gym and was amazed!</p>

<p>I am surprised to hear that students are moving in already. My D is not scheduled to move in until the 17th! And we still had to pay the entire month of August rent! I am more than a bit annoyed</p>

<p>FWIW, bluehen85 (I gather you’re a Delaware grad?), my son moved in under the auspices of his NMF housing scholarship, so I’m not sure if UA has some special deal going on with The Lofts regarding move-in.</p>

<p>With respect to collecting a full month’s rent upfront, many landlords do this and then prorate the second month’s rent if the first month’s occupancy of the unit was less than a calendar month. I don’t think it’s legal for them to charge you for an unavailable unit, but I’m not a lawyer and I suggest you pursue this with the management of The Lofts. </p>

<p>You may also want to Google “uniform residential landlord and tenant act in alabama” and download the PDF to see if it provides guidance for you. Best of luck and sorry for your understandable aggravation.</p>

<p>i think it is customary for college apartments to charge 12 equal payments of xxx even though the students do not get to live there the “full” 12 months.</p>

<p>my other daughter will be at the lofts at another college and her payments are 12 payments of xxx but the dates are from aug 21 - aug 5 the next year. the dates are specified by the apartment.</p>

<p>Mike, do they build a proration into the uniform monthly rent or just stick it to you for the unavailable days?</p>

<p>The leases are written such that (my son is at the Woodlands and it is the same way) you are charged an amount for the entire duration of the lease. That amount is then divided into 12 equal payments.</p>

<p>So it appears that you pay “a full month” of rent for the partial month of August, but in actuality you are paying 1/12th of the amount for the term of the lease. It is well spelled out in the lease when it is signed.</p>

<p>There is no prorated rent at any point in the lease as each payment is simply 1/12th of the total amount due.</p>

<p>The term of the lease is approximately 50 weeks. That gives the apartment communities time to clean the apartments and repair any damages prior to students moving in the following year. So once again the appearance is that you are paying for a couple weeks that you are not allowed to live in the apartment, however as noted the lease is written for a total amount for the duration of the 50 week period that is then divided into payments and is not really a monthly charge.</p>

<p>It is my understanding that if students opt to renew their leases that they can stay in the apartment during those additional weeks (as no cleaning/repairs for new tenants are necessary).</p>

<p>Thanks, jrcsmom. I think that explains why my son was allowed to stay in East Edge rent-free for the remainder of May on his NMF deal and only had to pay rent in June and July.</p>

<p>Yes, that is the explanation that they gave me at the Lofts…“the lease has a total cost which is broken into 12 equal payments” I didn’t look to fight any further because I suspect that the lease is carefully worded to avoid legal issues. It just struck me as unfair. My S is at Penn State and his apartment did the same thing. I guess it’s the “thing to do” on campus now. </p>

<p>DD has been on campus since August 1 for sorority recruitment and has been sleeping on a friends floor. I will be happy when she’s settled.</p>

<p>Yes, I am a University of Delaware grad. Can you guess the year I graduated? Haha</p>

<p>The Retreat “move in” is Aug 1st. Son stayed for 2 years and his move out was July 27th at noon…that gave the complex a couple of days to clean/paint for new renters Aug 1.</p>

<p>*When the entire development is complete, will there be a campus shuttle service during normal class hours?
*</p>

<p>Won’t the Lofts be providing a shuttle this fall?</p>

<p>Yes, shuttle service will be available: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/transportation.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/transportation.cfm)</p>

<p>Here’s a link to The Lofts’ website: <a href=“http://www.theloftsatcitycenter.com/[/url]”>http://www.theloftsatcitycenter.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Nice exercise room!</p>

<p>^^^ Thanks. Maybe I missed it, but couldn’t find any reference to shuttle service on the Lofts’ website. I didn’t think to check the Bama site. I guess I thought a shuttle would be provided by the apartments or not at all, since they’re privately owned. </p>

<p>Yet another poet mistake about college today. <em>le sigh</em></p>

<p>Does anyone have any information regarding parking at The Lofts?
-Is there a parking garage or is it outdoor parking?
-Can you enter the building directly through the parking garage?
-Is the parking secure?
It sounds like a wonderful development, looking forward to seeing it this weekend when S moves in.</p>

<p>there is a parking garage being built…don’t know if some of it will be ready this month.</p>