Bring OOS student home mid semester break?

<p>Do most OOS students come home for mid-semester break in October, or should he stay on campus. We live too far to drive so he would have to fly home.
Is it worth the time and expense?</p>

<p>I can’t say what most OOS student do, but we had our son come home last year for the mid-semester break and stay at UA for Thanksgiving because the timing seems better for the mid-semester break than for Thanksgiving which is just a few weeks before finals and the end of the semester. We plan on doing the same this year, but I will be passing through Tuscaloosa to see him for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>If they stay over Thanksgiving, what do they do? Are things open? Is there some place for Thanksgiving dinner?</p>

<p>My D had a very hard time making her college decision, in large part because while she really liked UA, she did not want to go so far from home. Her other top choice was an OOS flagship that’s any easy 2.5-3 hour drive from home. So the first thing I did on the day she made her decision to attend UA was make plane reservations for her to come home for Fall Break. I wanted her to see that the distance was no big deal. We are lucky enough to have direct flights and reasonable fares on Southwest. I don’t know if she’ll come home for fall break in subsequent years, but this year it was important - at least at the time we booked the trip. By early October, who knows?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In past years Dr. Sharpe has rounded up OOS Honors College strays and invited them to his home for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>^An older CBHP student who had never met my son invited him to his parents house when he heard through the grapevine that my son was going to be in Tuscaloosa over Thanskgiving. Amazing hospitality! My son had a great day.</p>

<p>FWIW, given the ever increasing size of the Honors college and the ever increasing number of OOS students, I don’t think anyone should assume that Dr. Sharpe or others who run the Honors College and/or CBHP programs are going to be able to extend their hospitality to every OOS Honors student who stays in town for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Since we have no idea how our son is going to adjust, we booked him a trip home on Southwest for fall break and also some options for Thanksgiving. I thought it would be easier for him (and us) to leave him in August with the mindset that we will see him in early October (we are not planning to visit on parents weekend). If he chooses not use the ticket, we will cancel and he will have a credit in his name for up to one year (which we’ll use to bring him home for spring break).</p>

<p>^Good plan. I think our son misses the pets more. Every time we facetime, he insists on seeing the dogs.</p>

<p>I think our son will be staying at UA for both Fall Break and Thanksgiving. We are, however, flying him home one weekend in November so he can we can all go to see Jethro Tull together. :slight_smile: (We are also planning to visit for Family Weekend.)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Kind of a long flight, don’t you think? Does he have study abroad funds? </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Jethro Tull (30 March 1674 – 21 February 1741)…</p>

<p>LOL - who knew? :slight_smile: </p>

<p>My son was NOT going to miss this! [Thick</a> as Brick Played Live on Special 2012 Tour - The Official Jethro Tull Website](<a href=“http://www.j-tull.com/news/taabtour2012.html]Thick”>http://www.j-tull.com/news/taabtour2012.html)</p>

<p>S didn’t fly home last year as most other schools his friends went to had other breaks & coordinated with HS homecoming. This year with the Iron Bowl he may not come home at all.
Big Sis did invite him to SF though.</p>

<p>Particularly with the road game trips it might be a great time to catch up in dare I say- work.</p>

<p>all kids are different. mine is a homebody and likes to come home when she has time, so she does come home for fall break. last year she went to visit an aunt over thanksgiving.</p>

<p>it is a nice break to get away from campus for a bit. another thing is that over these breaks (and even some away football weekends) the campus is deserted. if that is something your kid would like, then have them stay. if not, then being there on the deserted campus might make them miss home even more.</p>

<p>if you are far away, it is too far to drive for the short break, but it is doable with a flight.</p>

<p>This year, Thanksgiving weekend will be busy, busy since it’s a home game Iron Bowl.</p>

<p>Two years ago (the last home Iron Bowl), we stayed the whole weekend and Bama hosted Thanksgiving dinner at the Ferg…full meal, all the trimmings. All you had to pay was $5…which was a charity donation for a shelter. So, Bama hosted the event, but a donation was expected…it was a great deal. lol</p>

<p>yes, profs and students also host OOS kids at their homes as well.</p>

<p>UGH- Didn’t realize campus would empty out over the fall break. That is when we had planned on going down as our son doesn’t have school on Monday afterward due to Columbus Day. Wanted him to see the Honors college, stay in a dorm, etc. Bad idea?</p>

<p>My son, as a freshman, came home for Thanksgiving but not fall break. He decided it was too costly to fly home until Christmas, so he stays in Alabama. At Thanksgiving, he usually goes to his roommate’s home near Birmingham so they can see the Iron Bowl. </p>

<p>If your student feels a need to return home in the fall or Thanksgiving, it’s understandable. Just make sure you restock the pantry and frig.</p>

<p>In the past, Southwest has had sale for late August-Early December travel in late June, with travel every day except Friday and Sunday. Other airlines will usually match the fares, which are usually distance-based.</p>

<p>UA offices will be open over Fall Break and on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>In the past, I did not fly home for either break. This past year, I flew home over Thanksgiving as the Iron Bowl was in Auburn and airfares were relatively inexpensive. Most all of my first class upgrades cleared, so my travel was much less stressful. The airports were not as busy as predicted.</p>

<p>My DD says her internet UA group is already planning their Thanksgiving meal and what each person will make/contribute. She has roommates from CA and IL so I am assuming they will be staying too.</p>

<p>The Southwest airlines sale mentioned above is on now for flights Aug13 through Nov. 14th (so works for fall break and family week, but not for Thanksgiving. $49 each way for 0-500 miles, $99 each way for 501-1300 miles, $139 each way for 1301 and above, excludes Friday and Sunday.</p>

<p>kaylynsmom - S and friends last year opted to do prepare their own Thanksgiving dinner and they really enjoyed the experience. Great to hear your DD and others are jumping right in and sharing such a great bonding experience.</p>