Bringing books to class?

<p>Is it common for classes at Purdue to have a compulsory book requirement like classes in High School?</p>

<p>Most classes require a textbook. However, some classes say you “must have” a textbook but then it is never used or the reading it is optional. Sometimes you need a textbook for homework and people still won’t buy it. It really depends on the class but they can’t really enforce everyone buying a textbook. It’s up to the student if they buy the required textbooks or not, honestly. </p>

<p>But I would wait until midweek of the first week of school to buy textbooks. You may not need a textbook or discover purchasing one is optional for the class. And actually, renting textbooks is much cheaper and I recommend that over buying unless you cannot find a rentable textbook. [Rent</a> Textbooks. Cheap Textbook Rentals for College | Chegg.com](<a href=“http://www.chegg.com%5DRent”>http://www.chegg.com) is where I always rent my textbooks from. I usually get all my textbooks needed for under $200 total; whereas buying new you can pay over $100 per book.</p>

<p>I agree with dixie on the first one. Sometimes profs require a book but never use it which gets frustrating. </p>

<p>I usually buy books then sell it for money at the end of the semester…</p>

<p>Actually thinking about it… I think I answered your question wrong, OP…</p>

<p>Some professors require you to have your book at class and will penalize you if you don’t. I’ve only noticed this for my Spanish and Math classes so heads up on that. Most professors understand it can become a pain so they don’t require books during lecture. Instead they just lecture you off a PowerPoint slide with most if not all information from your textbook that will be in your room. Of course you will get profs that put information into the slides that cannot be found in the book.</p>

<p>I’ve taken a bunch of biology and chemistry classes, as well as some other sciences/math, and foreign language. The only ones that required a book at class were foreign language and chemistry labs (your lab notebook).</p>