Brockman Foundation Scholarship-High School Class of 2019 Waiting Game

Wondering if all second rounders have been invited to interview? We haven’t received an email yet.
We live 2 hours south of Dallas.

Just wondering, if you didn’t get the Brockman Scholarship, do they automatically put you on another scholarship that you’re qualified to?

@Topazjenh , excellent question! Is your child National Merit Semi Finalist? I am curious about the Brown scholarship if Brockman doesn’t happen. I nominate you to contact Pablo Mora (pmora49@tamu.edu) to ask for all of us!! :slight_smile: I’ve already emailed him about the timeline early on in the process and another question so I don’t want to keep bugging him. He is very good about returning emails. Let us know what you find out if you email him! And did y’all decide to Skype or come in person?

Hi @TXRunningMom my son is not a National Merit, he doesn’t know (and me) anything about it until now, the school never told them about it, if I should have known about that, then I should have encouraged him. Anyway, we have decided to do the skype, he’s scheduled on Nov 30 @ 3:00 pm. Hopefully it will turn out good, getting nervous about it!?

Good luck to those whose interviews are this weekend. Post back on this thread how it went!

@2aggies would you recommend wearing the business professional attire to the first level of interviews as well?

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! I would recommend professional attire (doesn’t have to be a full suit but nice) to the first level of interviews. My son interviewed on Wednesday. Everyone was very nice. He said the questions were more like a conversation, very similar to what was said earlier on this thread. At this point, everyone they have chosen to interview is well-qualified for the scholarship, I think they just want to find out who will fit best in the program.

My son received his interview invitation yesterday for Dallas area - Dec 5 is the date for interview.

I was wondering the same thing about what they should wear for the interview.

@TXYellowRose thanks for reporting back to us! Did they tell y’all anything about a timeline for after this round of interviews? Like, when will they invite kids to the finalist weekend? Might we know something before Christmas either yay or nay?

My son has an interview in Dallas on December 5th. The email only stated when the finalist weekend is scheduled (1/24-1/26), not when notifications will be given. Excited to make it to this round of a very competitive process!.

@TXRunningMom I believe they will be interviewing a good part of December and said they’d officially notify the finalists by the middle of January at the latest. I’d be surprised if we hear anything before Christmas but you never know! I don’t know how they will ever choose. What a great group of young scholars and leaders!

Absolutely! My son wore Khakis, a sport coat and a tie for both interviews. He didn’t own a suit at the time. Most of the boys were wearing suits. Girls wore skirts and a jacket or a professional dress and heels.

For anyone thinking about buying a suit, I can vouch for the Kenneth Cole Reaction slim fit suits at Macy’s. They look and fit great, and the complete suit is on sale for $99. Hopefully this link will work https://www.macys.com/shop/mens-clothing/mens-suits/Brand,Suit_fit/Kenneth%20Cole%20Reaction,Slim%20Fit?id=17788

Business professional for the 1:1 interview & dinners. Business casual for all other activities. Mine wore his khakis and sport coat without his tie most of the time. The girls wore a dress/skirt or slacks.

I was interested to know little bit about the interviews (i.e. topics, purposes etc.), specially regional one at this point. Any tips will be highly appreciated.

@2aggies and @chercheur , do you remember seeing any girls in slacks with a jacket? My daughter has her “debate” outfit that we were planning on her wearing. She is very comfortable with her slacks, jacket, and heels. She doesn’t wear skirts a lot but if a skirt would be better… we will need to go shopping!

In my opinion, slacks and a jacket are fine and very appropriate.

Has anybody heard from the Brown Scholarship Foundation?

I’d use the debate outfit.