Brown vs USC (Presidential) vs UCSD

DS likes most subjects, hasn’t found his passion, not sure what his plans are other than very likely PhD/MD/JD.
Fit seems great at Brown but also at USC. No worries about UCSD but big draw is the cost. Sports and Trojan Family a draw at USC but reputation of Brown even bigger draw.
Interested in PDP at USC so maybe could have Master’s after 4 years.
Won’t need loans but would have money left over after USC thanks to Presidential, and a lot left over at UCSD. We’d at least be able to help w grad school.
Is the prestige of a Brown degree just for ego, or does it carry some weight to justify the expense? Understanding it’s about what he does during his 4 years, will it make getting into the grad school he wants more likely?

2 Likes

If he goes into a PhD program directly, he will most likely have funding and health insurance. Brown financial aid told us not to worry so much about grad school cost.

I have never been to USC but have had a kid at Brown undergrad and a kid at UCSD for doctorate.

I would think he could get into a good grad program from any of the three.

Brown is my favorite school. I love the curriculum (no gen eds), the campus, the location and the “vibe.” But if it is much more expensive and tough to swing, he has two excellent choices as well.

Do you perceive Brown as more prestigious than USC? I think all 3 are impressive schools.

1 Like

If they haven’t found their passion, how could this be a true statement. More education isn’t always the correct answer.

2 Likes

You both make us reframe things, that’s what we needed. Feels like we were putting the cart before the horse. Thank you!
When I asked him which school will best help him figure out his passion, he quickly said Brown. We’ll see how Triton day goes, if he loves that, the cost might make it easy.

2 Likes

Brown is a great place to go undecided because of the freedom to explore, without prescribed gen eds. Advising is excellent, in our experience.

5 Likes

This. A really undecided student can end up floundering, or going down rabbit holes. Advisors who are used to advising undecided students will be familiar with a range of pathways and will typically have some ideas as to good classes to help a student taste-test a subject (ie, identifying an entry level class that gives a fair idea of the subject).

2 Likes

That’s why I made sure to mention advising at Brown. It is an important factor in a school with a relatively free curriculum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.