Bryant vs Ridgecrest

<p>My son will be in the engineering college and he was also accepted into honors.</p>

<p>Any thoughts about Bryant (freshman engineering dorm) versus Ridgecrest?</p>

<p>If he chooses Bryant, will that make it difficult to get into honors housing in future years?</p>

<p>My son is a freshman in Honors, lives in RCS-North tower and loves it. From what I understand, if you do not live in Honors housing as a freshman, you cannot in later years.</p>

<p>Pardon me jumping in but do you know which would be the best for engineering/honors/marching band? Threw in the band because I’ve noticed at some schools they like to hang together and I’ve heard at Alabama a fair number of engineering students are in the marching band.</p>

<p>If he chooses Bryant, will that make it difficult to get into honors housing in future years?</p>

<p>If he goes to non-honors first (Bryant) then he will be EXCLUDED from honors housing in the future.</p>

<p>To be in honors housing, you have to START in honors. Besides, many of the honors engineering students will be in honors housing.</p>

<p>threeofthree - DS matches your requirements engineering/honors/band. Lives in Ridgecrest West honors housing and loves it. The band does hang together, often by section, but I don’t think residence hall has anything to do with it. With over 400 people in the band they pretty much have someone in every residence hall on campus (and off). Besides, with their practice schedule they pretty much see each other constantly. :-)</p>

<p>Engineering does have strong representation in the band, more future engineers than any other major.</p>

<p>If you can swing the extra $$ I would definately suggest the honors housing. It has worked well for son.</p>

<p>Why an Eng’g male would chose a non-honors option (Bryant) over honors (Ridgecrest), is really beyond me. (They cost the same.) If you live at Bryant, you have to pay more for dining there at night, so it would be a hike to eat elsewhere. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who lives in Bryant right now. I suspect that there are bugger-all non-athletes who live there, quite honestly.</p>

<p>^^^Actually, we’re considering Bryant for next year, son’s fourth year, if he has to move out of Riverside. He lived in Ridgecrest over the summer and did not care for it. He actually only eats at Bryant or Fresh Food, so the dining isn’t a factor, either. We’ll be having that discussion over the Christmas break as to where he wants to live. Since The Bluffs is not going to be an option for honors housing next year, and East Edge is very far from engineering, Bryant might be the best option since all his classes will be in the engineering buildings. I am curious where the residents of Bryant park, though, so if someone could chime in on that, I’d appreciate it.</p>

<p>Yes, as a 4th year eng’g student, Bryant is a very good option - I didn’t think about that when responding. I hope he finds like-minded kids to room with and wish you luck!</p>

<p>Am I reading the info on the Housing site correctly that Bryant is all Male?</p>

<p>Yes, Bryant is all male. There are a few all male and all female dorms on campus.</p>

<p>As far as I know, Bryant also is not an option If you do not move in as a Freshman, just like Honors housing.</p>

<p>The residents of Bryant receive a Silver parking decal</p>