Bryce Lawn Apartments

<p>Hi, y’all! And, to quote the recent Sports Illustrated cover: Rule Tide!</p>

<p>My son has been “pulled into” Bryce Lawn Apartments by a friend for next year. I am thrilled, because he’ll be rooming with friends, not total strangers. (Last year he went random and lucked out with great roomies. This year he went random again and got roomies who range from anti-social to downright hostile. :o) Plus, his housing scholarship completely covers the cost, so what’s not to like? And it’s right near the rec center!</p>

<p>Anyway…I found an old thread here at College Confidential about Bryce Lawn. According to that thread, the apartments comprise two single-occupancy bedrooms and one double-occupancy one. However, the latest info at the UA Housing website says that all three bedrooms are single-occupancy.</p>

<p>Does anyone know which is correct? I am hoping my son can end up in a single-occupancy bedroom, as that is what his scholarship covers (and it’s what he’s used to).</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>LadyDianeski</p>

<p>I didn’t know that Bryce Lawn Apartment was considered a choice for housing scholarship recipients. That would be a great choice for S for his jr/sr years if it is.</p>

<p>It is my understanding that the apts. are three single bedrooms. My son just looked at them and said they are old and kind of worn but would be ok. He is hoping to live there next year but is now at East Edge. Those apts. are so nice that most things on campus are really a step down. He is not on a housing scholarship. We will see if he makes it through for on campus housing.</p>

<p>Thanks! I had the impression they were kind of old, too, but my son feels (rightly, I think) that living with good friends in an older place is better than living with unfriendly strangers in a really spiffy place. (He’s in Ridgecrest West right now, which is quite nice…if his roommate situation were better, he’d stay, but it isn’t, so… )</p>

<p>His freshman-year roommates were so nice, but alas, one became an RA in a non-honors dorm; another went to a frat house, and the third went off-campus…you know how that goes.</p>

<p>hokiefan, did your son notice anything seriously amiss? Holes in the walls, bad plumbing, grime, mold, whatever? (Just curious.) Thanks!!</p>

<p>No. I think because he lives in East Edge now and everything is so new there (ie clean and nice) that anything you would compare it to looks old. When he came back from Christmas break he was able to get a good look around there as he has a MDB friend who lives there. So she showed him her apt. and everything else. He wants to be close to the engineering buildings so that is why he is hoping to live there.</p>

<p>His first choice would be to stay at EE, but he didn’t make his deposit in a timely manner and the apt. he wanted was spoken for. He could have lived in a single but didn’t want that.</p>

<p>We will see how it works out. But to answer your questions he said it would really be fine. Good luck to your son.</p>

<p>Bryce Lawn is near the engineering school? I wonder if that would be an option for my Riverside boys if they can’t get back into their building.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all!</p>

<p>Now I have a related question:</p>

<p>If DS lives at Bryce Lawn (under housing scholarship) next year (Fall 2013-Spring 2014), but then decides to go back to the regular honors dorms (Ridgrecrests and Riversides) for his senior year (Fall 2014-Spring 2015)…can he do so?</p>

<p>Or do you blow your chance to live in the super-suite honors dorms once you move to a non-honors facility, even if the latter is covered by your housing scholarship?</p>

<p>Does anyone know? Is the UA Housing person out there? ;)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Janine Gascoigne is the lady from UA housing that posts here on occasion.
<a href=“mailto:jmgascoigne@sa.ua.edu”>jmgascoigne@sa.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>It is my understanding that once you move out of the honors dorms (or initially forgo your chance to move in – whichever the case may be) you are no longer eligible for honors housing. Here is the language on the Housing and Residential Life page that leads me to that conclusion: “Because of the demand for Honors Housing, only incoming Honors College freshmen and current residents of Honors Housing can be accommodated. Space does not permit Honors College participants living in other residence halls to move to Honors Housing.”</p>

<p>My understanding is the same as posted above. Once you move out of honors housing you are done, especially since the demand is so high.</p>

<p>Yipes! Oh well. But, if Bryce Lawn is covered by the housing scholarship, then does that mean it is technically considered honors housing?</p>

<p>E.g., a friend of my son’s was in Blount the first year and is now in Ridgecrest West. (She’s an NMF and has the housing scholarship for all four years.) If she could move from Blount to Ridgecrest, then…could DS maybe move from Bryce Lawn back to Ridgecrest (for his senior year)?</p>

<p>It’s probably moot, anyway, since he really wants to room with his friends and doesn’t mind giving up Ridgecrest / Riverside. I get the impression that, by the time you’re a senior, you’re kind of open to other options anyway.</p>

<p>I believe they consider Blount to be honors, so you can go from there to honors.</p>

<p>As far as moving back into Honors Housing, I wonder how they feel about Spanish House? Sure hasn’t been what we hoped it would be. DD tried for a mid-year transfer but didn’t get it. When you don’t like where you live it’s a little hard to understand that your housing scholarship is a great thing.</p>

<p>Here’s what UA Housing said about moving from Blount to Honors housing:</p>

<p>Post #6:</p>

<p>“If a student chooses to participate in Blount Initiative, they will not be kept from moving into Honors Housing in later years.”</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1422403-freshman-honors-dorm.html#post15094578[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1422403-freshman-honors-dorm.html#post15094578&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’ll see if I can locate the post about NMF who move and wish to return to Honors housing. If I find it, I’ll post it.</p>

<p>@ Lady Di…</p>

<p>Or do you blow your chance to live in the super-suite honors dorms once you move to a non-honors facility, even if the latter is covered by your housing scholarship?</p>

<p>My understanding is that one would lose the option of the honors super-suites (which for 2012-13 is the Ridgecrest’s -E W & S) but one would still have several other non-honors super suite dorms…Brand new Presidential 2 is to open Fall 2014, Lakeside and Riversides…so not all bad if he wants back into a super-suite :)</p>

<p>Looks like you lose all possibility of suite style dorms. From the returner FAQ:
“The residence halls for which you will be eligible next year are determined in part by your gender, college, and where you live now. In order to select Honors Housing when you recontract, you must be living in Honors Housing, or Harris or Blount Halls, at the time of room selection in February. Additionally, because of space that must be maintained for incoming freshmen, only current residents of Presidential Village, Bryant, Ridgecrest South, Ridgecrest East and West, Lakeside and Riverside will be able to select those residence halls during room selection.”</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all. Well, by senior year I’m thinking most kids don’t want to room with freshmen anyway. (IIRC, the super-suites are mostly populated by freshmen…at least the honors ones are, it seems.)</p>

<p>What if DS wants to go from Bryce Lawn (junior year) to the Bluffs or East Edge senior year? Can he do that? I think his housing scholarship (mostly??) covers those places, and they are nicer than Bryce Lawn.</p>

<p>The big thing that concerns me about Bryce Lawn is room size. Right now, in Ridgecrest West, DS has a cozy little monastic cell (10 X 12 or something like that, IIRC). At Bryce Lawn, he’ll have a shoebox (10 X 8). (The kid who is “pulling him in” will presumably grab the one really large bedroom…which is as it should be.) </p>

<p>DS’s little Bryce Lawn shoebox will still be a single room, of course, so it’s no biggie. But will he be able to fit a bookcase for his ever-increasing collection of books? Now there’s the rub!</p>

<p>Oh well! If it doesn’t bother DS, it shouldn’t bother me. When I think of some of the dumps I lived in when I was young…an apartment complex at UA is a palace by comparison!</p>

<p>Well, Lady, it looks like next year, Bluffs and East Edge won’t be covered by the housing scholarship, so that argument is out the window.</p>

<p>Son has a housing scholarship, but would like to room with kids not on a housing scholarship, so I’m wondering, if housing were to bring Bluffs and East Edge back into the scholarship realm, if a scholarship student could stay in the same apartment with non scholarship students who would be paying East Edge or Bluffs for their housing rather than the university. And the scholarship student would pay the summer months out of his own pocket. Since many students either get internships/jobs in the area, or take summer classes, that would not be a bad thing. </p>

<p>I suppose it would be tricky lease, though, because perhaps the University would be the scholarship kids’ “landlord” and East Edge or Bluffs would be the non scholarship kids’ landlord, as those students may pay their rent to East Edge or Bluffs, rather than the University.</p>

<p>Unless something drastic happens, UA is not leasing any spaces in the Bluffs or East Edge. Even if they did, UA would have control over the rates and the students would be charged the intentionally-high rate for a 9-month lease. What would be better is if UA would issue the student with a housing scholarship a voucher for the Bluffs or East Edge and UA pays them a very-discounted rate, but UA does not seem to be open to such an arrangement. The argument is academic at this point as East Edge seems to be reserved to capacity for next year without needing to discount rooms.</p>