BS app help pls?

Hi! I got my SSAT test scores back today: V: 98, Q: 91, R: 92, T: 96. I was wondering if I should send my SSAT score or ISEE (2nd score) score. Any input or experience of SSAT vs. ISEE?

Those are great scores! Congratualtions! I don’t consider myself an expert on standardized testing, but I think your SSAT scores look a little better since they are all 90+, so I would send the SSAT over the ISEE.

I do not know about the isse , but your SSAT scores look great. Most of the more competitive schools preferred the SSAT . I think it is considered a harder test( but that is just what we have heard).

Congratulations. I think the SSAT is preferred by more schools. Also separates Test takers better and into smaller intervals. But most people here tend to say scores are just like a hurdle ie once you are over 85 or 90 percentile it doesn’t matter.

Mercersburg is wonderful - great medium size and very supportive community.

I see you’re looking at Cate - it is a lot smaller than most of the schools you are looking at. We’ve experienced that it feels too small after 4 years.

Congratulations. And yes, as others have stated, this most recent SSAT score is the strongest yet. Submit it by itself.

Thanks for your insights! I’m applying to Cate because when my uncle toured there for his boarding school tours he said it was the most beautiful campus that had a wonderful marine biology program. I live on the west coast so I have always had a strong pull to the sea and my parents like Cate because it is closer than East Coast schools. Have you had children go to Mercersburg?

Hi! Thx for the replies. I read through them all and there were some really helpful comments. Now I am focusing on recommendations and devising an ELABORATE plan on how to present to my teachers as in our school history not one kid has stepped outside of our school district for boarding schools and they are considered punishment. I have a dilemma. I need a principal rec for all the schools I’m applying to. However, my principal thinks I am my fellow asian friend even though I’ve corrected them numerous times. It’s an annoying part of being here and I strive for a place with more diversity. We don’t even look alike. We’re not even from the same part of Asia! Ok, sorry that’s a bit off topic but anyways I don’t want to ask my principal. I think I would want to ask my vice principal who is kind and has helped me through my journey of starting my club. Would it be wrong to ask my vice principal instead? Moreover, would it be allowed?

I’ve seen apps on cc that say they asked other people but of course I can’t really be sure they are telling the truth for all I know they could be lying.

Isn’t it a counselor OR principal recommendation? My daughter for sure didn’t have a principal/head of school write a recommendation last year. Her school counselor wrote that one. So, it does seem like there is flexibility - as long as the person has a position that understands you in the context of the larger school community, I would think an assistant principal would be fine.

3 Likes

My daughter used her advisor, but we called each school to clear first.

1 Like

I wonder if you could do something that is often recommended for high schoolers asking for recommendations from teachers for college.

Write a ‘brag sheet’ for yourself, including information that would be useful for a teacher writing a recommendation such as notable achievements, attributes, the reasons why you are applying to boarding school, activities that you do outside of school, ways in which you are contributing to your school community, etc.

This could even be a helpful document for someone who knows you well, such as your assistant principal.

4 Likes

Kiddo1 also asked her advisor for a recommendation instead of the head of school. I’m sure asking the Vice Principal is perfectly fine!

1 Like

My daughter used her guidance counselor for Principal/Counselor (I doubt the Principal knew who she was) and it was totally fine. The guidance counselor asked for a detailed list of extracurriculars etc. so she could make sure she was capturing the important parts. In hindsight I think it would have been a great idea to have that ready for her without being asked.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the replies. From what I’m reading it seems that counselor/vice principal recs are fine so I’ll be asking my vice principal. Today I tried to enter my previous grades but I have two problems. The forms on gateway asked for a name of a recommender for the grade transcript, who should I put down? Also, the school district where I live is a bit weird and there is an between elementary and middle school (5-6th) and middle school (7-8th) I need transcripts from 6 and 7, how should I go about sending these since I went to different schools for 6 and 7th grade.

You have to request those transcripts/ progress reports and have them upload it on gateway. For 6 th grade you can have them email it to admissions office, since gateway gives you only one option for 6th and 7 th grades

1 Like

Got it. Do you know who I should request to send my grades to the admission office? Also, does anyone know how teacher recommenders grade students? I know that there is the letter of rec but it sounds like they have to fill out some sort of character grading scale, could someone provide information about that if what I hear is true?

Yes - Teachers will be asked to rank you on certain areas of student characteristics like preparation for class, collaboration, creativity, respect, etc. You can see the Gateway to Prep teacher rec form here: https://www.gatewaytoprepschools.com/documents/english-recommendation.pdf

Thank you so much! This recommendation form can be filled out online as well, right?

Yes - this was just a link for you to see what is on a recommendation form, not for you to use it to give to teachers. The recommendation should be filled out online through the link sent to the teacher once you invite them/add them to the application so it can easily go to all schools. If you’re using the SAO (which my daughter did), the form is fairly similar and asks for ranking of student characteristics as well like initiative, intellectual engagement, resilience, teamwork, etc.