BS Class of 2020 Thread

Ahh, @vegas1 --thank you for sharing that with me. It is exactly what I need to hear right now!

@itcannotbetrue I know several instances where students have left BS and blossomed elsewhere. It’s not the best environment for many students. Our children deserve to spend their teen years where things can be positive for them. Their happiness and health are the most important things in the big scheme of things. Kudos to you for being flexible enough to realize there are different paths for each of your children.

Speaking of health, GK2 is being admitted to the hospital tomorrow morning for 14 days, to be discharged the day GK1 is coming home from BS. That will be a very good day! :D/

Yikes! I hope all goes smoothly for GK2, @goatmama. You’ve been under the gauntlet with medical procedures this year. Hang in there!

@itcannotbetrue, here is an entire thread of success stories after leaving BS: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/16146979#Comment_16146979. It’s a new beginning with new opportunities and the added bonus of having a child at home!

Thank you, @GoatMama! So kind of you. Very interesting reading. . . And mostly happy endings :slight_smile:

Are you all having a great time with your kids back for the long Summer for the first time?

couple more days to go… DD’s grandmother stopped by dorm today bc she was traveling nearby. Sent a photo text of kids room- looks like a tornado had hit! Glad I’m NOT going up there to help pack.

YES! We have a pretty relaxed Summer planned for DD. Volunteer counselor, a one day a week internship, rowing work-outs, yoga. Having gone through last Summer with DS, I found that there is a ¨Return Period¨ of adjustment back to home life. ¨Chill¨ is the word around here B-)

So far so good. DS misses his friends and the 24/7-ness of it. As I think I stated elsewhere, he wishes school was year round but without the classes in the summer. :wink: That said, he is catching up on sleep which is a good thing and after a few days off, he did start working out agai., He has not picked up anything resembling a book. Next week will be more structured as he starts Driver’s Ed.

DD didn’t have much planned until she got home. Now she is learning Jiu Jitsu, plans to host a friend and will visit another. Calendar is filling up fast.

My wife talked me into committing to daily family meditation sittings. I mistakenly believed that my participation would be necessary to encourage DD’s, which would help her in the school next year if she continues on her own. Turns out that DD actually likes it and I am needlessly dragged into it.

wish I could get my boys to do Jui Jitsu! That’s great!
First stop for DD- doctors appointment to get health forms done. Second stop yo-goat! Seriously, she wants to do yoga with pygmy goats and its a thing! Usually I make a rule never to do yoga with a ballerina but making an exception for goats!

That’s a thing? For real?

@copperboom , your post has me wishing I had another way to react besides like or helpful!

DD birthday today and both girls home! . :x I am also eager to try yoga with goats; everything is better with goats

Happy birthday Chemmchimney kid! So nice to be able to celebrate at home! Maybe gift some goat yoga or “goga”!

Happy Birthday chemchimneydaughter!

My daughter jumped right back into school and is taking a six week Chemistry course where I work to prepare for next year. She will swim, swim, and maybe do a little more swimming! At the end of all that swimming, and depending on her times, she’ll likely end up at a meet in either Virginia, Ohio, or New York. She’s signed up for driver’s education in late-August right before school starts. In and around that time we go to Maine frequently where we “chill.”

@MAandMEmom is it long course? Can I ask how hard her transition was from not swimming year round? I know they say cross training is good for swimmers but we’ve never “taken off”- just curious- thinking ahead for next child ( as I sit at the long course pool!!!)

Talk to me in a week or so @copperboom as she is just back this week and is super tired. I think it will take her a week or so to get back into her groove. She played water polo this spring so she was still in the water. But that ended a few weeks back and her time in the water was limited since then. She did do well last winter season and ran cross country in the fall. Not a land sport athlete though!!

Can I say that she’s as fast as she might have been is she was training all year…probably not quite as fast but the benefits certainly outweigh many times over. Her practices are at a local short course pool with some long course thrown in at Brown and usually only on the weekends. All meets are long course though and she has yet to swim in one.